You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Additional waveforms for RayBlaster (free download)  (Read 32864 times)

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
Additional waveforms for RayBlaster (free download)
« on: December 04, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »
Hi,

like promised yesterday at KVR i created a first package of free waveforms for Rayblaster, this time filter responses of following synths:

FXpansion Strobe, Tone2 Saurus, Korg Polysix (plugin), TAL BassLine, Arturia SEM V, FXpansion Cypher

link:  
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53230726/IW_Free%20Rayblaster%20waveforms%201.zip

The format of the WAV files is: Mono, 16-bit, 44.1 kHz.

Those are single cycle waveforms with the purpose to recreate the filter responses from different synths and different filter types. Some of the Saurus waveforms are included with the factory content.

This includes non-Resonant and Resonant ("Reso" in the name) waveforms, in some cases different versions.
For the Lowpass filters usually a version with full Cutoff and one with lower Cutoff amount is provided (e.g. "25% Cutoff"). For harsh sounds the full Cutoff versions should be OK but for a broader frequency range those with lower Cutoff amounts should be used.
For Saurus there  are also waveforms that used the "Soft Reso" knob in it's filter section.

The behavior of the Resonant waveforms depends on several parameters, also found in real analog synths:
- Cutoff (= Formant knob)
- filter key track (left "Key" knob)
- envelope amount and values ("ENV1" knob, envelope 1)
- "harmonic" value which zooms in and out of the waveform
- start phase
- osc window

additional hints:

- you could use e.g. the presets "SaurusRezMorph IW" from the LEad category for testing. This uses a non-Resonant waveform for Wave1 and a resonant one for Wave2 which could be morphed with the Modwheel.

- Another preset that could be used for testing is e.g. "Mini Saw Lead IW" (which is based on a Minimoog waveform from Diva...)

- the "normal" range for the Formant knob should be between -200 and 0 (= middle position". Of course you could use higher values but there the filter response starts to slowly morph into a Bandpass filter.

- for analog lead sounds usually an "Osc window" (drop-down menu below "Wave1") like e.g. "Soft Saw", "Exponential 1" or "Soft Expo" should be the proper choices. For sounds with more high freqquencies "Cosine" should be a good choice.

- Of course you could also try the other osc windows for shaping the waveform further. e.g. "Sinc BP3" could emulate a resonant waveform in some cases and "Comb 4X" could emulate a Comb filter.

- in some case you could get a better low end with changing the "start phase" parameter. With some of the "osc windows" this parameter will be important

- If you should observe clicks or any other strange side effect you could use the "Low Cut" and/or "Damp" knobs to reduce or remove this.

- The "Low Cut" knob is also good if you observe a too big low end.

- those waveforms are usually based on a Sawtooth waveform but you could get different shapes with the "PW sequences":

- "Saw<PW>DbSaw" = Sawtooth to double Saw
- "Square<PW>Peek" = Square to Narrow Pulse
- "Tri<PW>Steps" = Triangle
- "Sino<PW>Square" = sine to Square

UPDATE:
Here are all waveforms with filter responses which i have done from the Moog Slim Phatty:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53230726/IW_Slim%20Phatty%20filter%20responses%201.zip

Have fun,
Ingo

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:28:01 PM by Bastiaan van Noord »
Windows 10 64-bit - Intel Core i5-3350P (4x3.10 GHz) - 8 GB DDR3 RAM - Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro DSP - AMD Radeon HD 8570 - Cubase Pro 8.5.20 & Pro 9.0.1 - Live 9.7.1 - Studio One 3.3, Bitwig Studio 1.3.15, Pro Tools 12.5.2

MaxSynths

• MaxSynths
    • Email
Re: Additional waveforms for RayBlaster (free download)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »
I add my waves too here Ingo so we keep them all all in one thread if you don't mind ;)

More waveforms for Rayblaster here

The archive include two folders:

1. ElextraX filters (almost all, only the EQ filters has been excluded). The impulses has been sampled using a Saw waveform in Analog mode with the Amp Simulation on with different cutoff levels (see file names).

2. Waves sampled from hardware synths:

- Some analog waveforms from a DIY prototype
- Arp Avatar
- Some Blofeld waves
- CS1-X
- Gakken SX-150
- Korg Z1
- Roland SH-201
- Siel Mono
- Some custom Virus waves

This archive includes also some filter types from Crisalys

Enjoy ;)
PC: Intel G640 - 4GB RAM - OS: WinXP SP3 (32bit) - SOUNDCARD: ESI Wami Rack 192L @ 44.1K, 512 Samples - MIDI: MOTU Microlite / Steinberg MIDIEX8 - HOST Presonus Studio One 1.6 / eXT 1.4.1 - 2.6 / Sonar X1

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »
I add my waves too here Ingo so we keep them all all in one thread if you don't mind ;)

Hi Massimo,

many thanks for your waveforms. I'll have another look at those too.  :)

Maybe i'll add some more too but first i have to do a selection for the commercial soundset.

Ingo
Windows 10 64-bit - Intel Core i5-3350P (4x3.10 GHz) - 8 GB DDR3 RAM - Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro DSP - AMD Radeon HD 8570 - Cubase Pro 8.5.20 & Pro 9.0.1 - Live 9.7.1 - Studio One 3.3, Bitwig Studio 1.3.15, Pro Tools 12.5.2

Examigan

• Some of my Music
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:49:51 AM »

Hi Massimo,

Maybe i'll add some more too but first i have to do a selection for the commercial soundset.

Ingo

Hi Max and Ingo,

It would be cool if all those you made were just added into the full version of Rayblaster.

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »

Hi Massimo,

many thanks for your waveforms. I'll have another look at those too.  :)

Ingo

Hi Max and Ingo,

It would be cool if all those you made were just added into the full version of Rayblaster.
For the factory content a certain amount was requested also to make the whole thing less "overwhelming". while the filter responses of the different synths are slightly or a bit more different the basic ones are included in the factory content or included with the presets.
Anyway the idea of providing a free set of waveforms is based on a phone call with Markus that i had yesterday evening. Sometimes this is much more "refreshing" than sending a bunch of emails...  :)

Ingo

MaxSynths

• MaxSynths
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »

Hi Massimo,

You are welcome Ingo ;)

@Examigan: I think that a rich waveform library already available could be a good idea. Maybe in the next update? Let's see what Markus thinks...
PC: Intel G640 - 4GB RAM - OS: WinXP SP3 (32bit) - SOUNDCARD: ESI Wami Rack 192L @ 44.1K, 512 Samples - MIDI: MOTU Microlite / Steinberg MIDIEX8 - HOST Presonus Studio One 1.6 / eXT 1.4.1 - 2.6 / Sonar X1

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »

Hi Massimo,

many thanks for your waveforms. I'll have another look at those too.  :)

You are welcome Ingo ;)

@Examigan: I think that a rich waveform library already available could be a good idea. Maybe in the next update? Let's see what Markus thinks...
I was asked to make a selection for the next soundset.

My plan is to publish all my waveforms sooner or later, either free or as part of a soundset.
The decision is easier for waveforms that are based on samples of synths like e.g. Saurus than for those i have have created "from scratch" with DNR Wave designer (most wavetables so far) , Cameleon 5000 (e.g. "IW_Additive wavetable XX") and Cableguys Curve.
For additional ones i'll concentrate on DNR Wave Designer and Cameleon 5000 (additive + resynthesis) and Wavelab Elements 7 for editing and creating "wavetables".

I have created the PPG wavetables but hesitate to use them in a commercial product. Let's see.

Ingo
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:44:33 PM by IngoWeidner »

MaxSynths

• MaxSynths
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »
I have created the PPG wavetables but hesitate to use them in a commercial product. Let's see.

Mmmm I know what you mean. I think that all waveforms that come from other commercial synths/companies should stay out of any official commercial product from Tone2 to avoid possible legal problems ;)

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »

Mmmm I know what you mean. I think that all waveforms that come from other commercial synths/companies should stay out of any official commercial product from Tone2 to avoid possible legal problems ;)
Not really a problem with the impulse responses but a full wavetable is like redistributing a sample i guess...

Ingo

silikonanswer

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »
First of all, thanks  :D for this presents. Second, how do I include these waveforms?

MaxSynths

• MaxSynths
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 09:00:05 PM »
First of all, thanks  :D for this presents. Second, how do I include these waveforms?

Very simple: extract the archives in the "RayBlaster_waves".
To load a wave select "load wave" and browse the desidered folder.

Or, if you want the new waveforms to be available in the popup menu, copy the wave files in the mail waveforms directory (by the way keep in mind that if you plan to collect a lot of custom waveform this could be a problem :D)

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 06:40:26 PM »
I have created some "virtual" filter impulses/responses with the formula editor in DNR Wave Designer:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53230726/IW_WaveDesigner_virtiual%20filter%20impulses%201.zip

A sceenshot from Wave Designer with a formula:

Ingo
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:43:22 PM by IngoWeidner »

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 08:23:59 PM »
Here is a PDF i created about a resonant Saurus waveform which shows screenshots of a Signal analyzer with different settings of the Formant knob:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53230726/Rayblaster%20-%20Saurus%20Resonant%20waveform%201_different%20Formant%20values%201.pdf

At values above 0 (= middle position) the filter response of most waveforms slowly morphs into a Bandpass filter. The "usual" range is from -200 to 0.

Some useful informations from the manual (could be found in Help menu or as PDF in the install folder):

quote from the manual:

Where's my filter?

IMS works in a way that does not need a separate filter section, its oscillators can authentically mimic the filter sound of other synthesizers, using one of the factory impulse presets or by simply importing one of your own impulses.
Not only is RayBlaster capable of modeling the sound of existing filters - it's also possible to create completely new artificial 'fantasy' filters exclusive to Rayblaster, making its filter capabilities virtually unlimited. Your own custom Rayblaster filter impulse responses can be created very easily, you'll find a step-by-step description in "Chapter 7 - Create your own custom Rayblaster filter impulse response' of this manual."

7. Creating your own custom Rayblaster filter impulse response

1) Open any synth
2) Play a low pitch sawtooth (around 50 Hz) with any filter (cutoff around 1kHz, you can add some resonance if you want)
3) Record and save this static sound to a wav.
4) Cut edit this wav into a single-cycle waveform.
5) Load it into one of Rayblaster's oscillator.
When you edit the sample it is important to have a zero-crossing at the beginning and end of the wave. You can also adjust this in Rayblaster with Osc. Start Offset, but it is more easy if you do it in the source file before importing it into Rayblaster.
Lowpass type is with formant lower than 0 and bandpass type with values above 0. There are some example Impulse responses included in the Wave library (OSC>Load Wave menu) like the LpSaurusReso. As window function use OFF, Soft Saw or Exponential.
An example patch can be found in the Tutorial category > FakeAnalogFilter.

8. How to extract & use waveforms in Rayblaster

A lot of instruments can be emulated by extracting a waveform from the original source, e.g., brass, woodwind and string instruments. Rayblaster is very good in modeling these instruments especially if the original waveform is used as its building block.
The following step-by-step describes how to do this:
1. Play a very low note on the instrument you want to extract a sample of
2. Sample the instruments
3. Extract/edit a single-cycle waveform from your sample, note that there should be a zero-crossing at the start & end of the single-cycle.
The maximum amount of energy (largest amplitude) should be as far to the start of as possible.
4. Save your single-cycle wav and import it into one of Rayblaster's oscillators.
Note that the File menu in Rayblaster offers two Quick import options, these will guide you through importing your sample/drumloop and configure Rayblaster to use the imported file.

Osc Window:

There are several window types available, each with its own preferred use or way to influence the sound.
The cosine window is the softest sounding one, it is a general purpose window and will be preferred especially on granulartypes of sounds.
Soft Saw, Exponential, Saw Down and Off are suitable for modeling the behavior of filters or beat slicing drum-loops.
For synced sounds use Off/Square or Saw Down together with
the SYNC button.
Example Patches in Patch manager >Tutorial category:
HardSync, BpmSyncOsc, BpmSyncPad, BeatSlice.

Harmonic:

Harmonic controls the harmonic content of the oscillator. When it is set to a value above 1 the waveform within the window is repeated for several times so it will sound more bright and harsh.
When negative values are used it will result mostly in a darker sound, since only a smaller part of the waveform will be part of the window.
The Start value defines the start offset of the waveform or the waveform's phase within the window function.
The Start value is for example used when you want to play granular or beat sliced sounds, where only a part of the sample is played back. If harmonic is set to a negative value the Start parameter can be used to scan forward or backward through a sample.
With these types of sounds usually a sawtooth LFO is routed to Osc Start Phase, this will allow the synth to scan-play though the sample in real time.
Example Patches in Patch manager >Tutorial category: Granular, Drumline,
BPMSyncOsc, BPMSyncPad, WavetableSynthesis

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:50:46 PM by IngoWeidner »

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
Here are all waveforms with filter responses which i have done from the Moog Slim Phatty:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53230726/IW_Slim%20Phatty%20filter%20responses%201.zip

A few are already included with the factory waveforms or with some presets as the waveforms are saved with the preset files.
Those include different filter poles (1 to 4) and different waveshapes.
Rayblaster could emulate different waveshapes with the PW sequences so those are usually not necessary.

I want to add a few more waveforms of the Phatty soon. For example with more variations for the Cutoff amount.

Ingo
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:40:38 PM by IngoWeidner »

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
    • Tone2.com audiosoftware
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »
Thank you Ingo!