You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Before and after thread  (Read 7391 times)

Pieter van Panama

Before and after thread
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:06:24 PM »
Fellow users, I dare to make suggestion that helps us all to improve our own sound design and lets us lurk into other people's heads while they model their creation.

The idea is to describe changes (tweaks) you've made to a given preset, favorably one of the factory banks as these are mostly present on our DAWs. It's not meant to disrespect the creator's work but to provide different views on (or perception of) a sound and its usage.

I'll start with a patch from the latest 'State of Art' expansion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name/Bank: AR XStation 2 AL / State of the Art

Description: Slow arpeggiated atmospheric line with nice sparkling sound bits

Tweaks: To achieve more depth in the 'picture' of the sound I've lowered OCT of OSC1/2 to -1 oct. It becomes the dark part of the 'scenery'. Speed goes down to around 0.1Hz - now I can give OSC1/2 a more detailed attack the more I raise Start. By adding AM (OSC amplitude modulation) the snarling character takes possession of the whole sound. You can hear it better when you mute OSC1/2 while playing with AM. Finally Formant Scale of OSC1/2 has been set to 100% to let it sound more rich.