You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: FilterBank feature requests  (Read 44354 times)

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
FilterBank feature requests
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:15:58 PM »
This is the right place to post feature requests for FilterBank.
Please keep in mind that there are also techncial restrictions and we can not fullfill everyone's needs.

Argitoth

• Email
Quantisation noise in parameter modulation?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »
http://www.elanhickler.com/misc/filterbank_aliasing.mp3

It's hard to hear it over speakers, use headphones. I'm tired of encountering these aliasing sounds and having to limit my use of FilterBank... because you know, filterbank is the most analog sounding digital filters ever created... if only there wasn't the aliasing.

Please address this in the next free update!

Quote from: Markus from Tone2.com
Hello Architeuthis,

we already adressed aliasing in the update to v3.0. The OSCs and LFOs of FilterBank3 use 2x/4x oversampling.

I have listened to your mp3 and the effect you describe is not aliasing. I assume it is quantisation noise in the filter coefficient modulation.

We'll adress this in the next free update.

Best Regards,
Markus Feil

Codex

• Email
Re: FilterBank feature requests
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »
Hi...

I also have an "issue" with filterbank, which occurs, when you need an exact filtersweep...

Lets say I want Filterbank to start at a specific filter frequency and open it up to another filter frequency. I find those start and end frequencies by ear of course. No from a users point I only have a "mid-point" (the large "f" knob) and a "width"  parameter (the +/- knob) to set the range of the filter-sweep, so it's very hard to get an exact start and end point. From a technicians point the way it is designed in Filterbank may be more similar to a hardwarefilter (with a center-frequency and plus-minus deviation). However from a musicians point it seems more straightforward to me to define from which start to which end frequency the filter opens and closes.

The way it is now makes me CRAZY sometimes ;-) I run my song in loop mode set any decent f-Value to get started, then I rise the +/- button until the filter goes down where it sounds good. But most of the time it then wont go up as far as I like it. So i rise the center-frequency a bit until it goes up near where I want it. Now of course the lower frequency has changed so I need to crank up the width (+/- button) again until it goes down where I want it again. But now it goes up too far. So "f" a bit down and */- a bit down and so on and so on... You got the point... it's a tiring incremental process to get the right starting and ending frequencies...

A easy additional "from f1 to f2" mode per oscillator would be a goodsend!! (the f-Value of the filter would of course become obsolete in this mode)

Regards
Codex

dhalfen

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
Hi!  I just want to extend one feature request (for now) from my post for BiFilter2 suggestions.

Could FilterBank3 feature direct numeric-value entry via the right-click for all parameters?  (I'm a very numbers-specific guy.   ;))

And one other concern, and not to be a total idiot:  in the manual, I read, "simply left-click with Shift and Strg" for MIDI-learn -- what the heck is Strg???

(Obviously, I'm fuzzy on that...)

Thanks for any help!

iMac "Early 2008," Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM // OS X 10.6.2 // REAPER 3.35 // Ableton Live 8.1.1 // MetaSynth 5 // Pianoteq Pro // GSi VB3

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:09:02 AM »
Hallo dhalfen,

you can fine-tweak parametres by pressing shift+mousebutton.

Strg = Ctrl

Best Regards,
Markus Feil

dhalfen

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 03:35:52 PM »
Hi, Markus!  Thanks for the quick response.  I apologize, in advance, for my long-windedness.   ;)

Hallo dhalfen,

you can fine-tweak parametres by pressing shift+mousebutton.

For the two filter frequencies in FilterBank3 (I should have prefaced this by emphasizing that only these two parameters are my concern  ;)), pressing the shift makes the changes "finer," but not truly fine.  (I'm using it in Live 8.) 

For example, if the current value is 50.69, then the next "normal" value I can achieve with just the mouseclick is 52.27, then 53.90, etc.

But if I use shift+mouseclick, then the next value become 51.74, then 52.82, then 53.90, etc. -- smaller increments, yes, but still not 50.70, then 50.71, 50.72...

As the frequencies become higher, the gaps become even larger (901 to 919), even under the "fine" changes.  This can potentially be a problem if I need something fairly exact, especially in the higher Hz. 

(I also wish that the value would remain displayed in the window for a longer time once I've unclicked it -- the data disappears in about a second.  Whoosh!  My, that's quick!  :'()

Strg = Ctrl

Ah!  For MIDI-learn, I only see it mentioned in the window when I press shift-command (AKA open-apple)-click on my Mac.  Using the control button in that sequence does nothing, unfortunately.

However, the MIDI-learn doesn't seem to work in Live 8.1.1, which is my primary DAW.  (It works in Reaper 3.35!)  I'm using an M-Audio Axiom 61 (the black one) as my controller.  It works fine in VB3 and Pianoteq, but FilterBank3 isn't recognizing any of my wheels/knobs/sliders.  (Is this Ableton's fault?)

Just for reference's sake:  if you haven't seen VB3 or Pianoteq, then right-clicking on any of the parameters opens a contextual menu.  In VB3, you change tweak a few settings and enable MIDI-learn;  in Pianoteq, you can enter numeric values and also enable MIDI-learn.  These are extremely helpful features.   ;D

(Yes, I'm spoiled -- spoiled rotten, actually...  Though, in all fairness, Guido  Scognamiglio just updated his VB3 to 1.3, and the MIDI-learn didn't work for me before then.  Actually, it had a few other "issues" before the update, but nothing I couldn't work around.  Now I'm in 7th heaven!)

(Well, actually, I'd be in 7th heaven if you could do a few "tiny" fixes for me in BiFilter2 & FilterBank3, hint-hint.  But I'm pretty close...  ;))

Thanks for your attention, Markus!

- Doug  :-)
iMac "Early 2008," Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM // OS X 10.6.2 // REAPER 3.35 // Ableton Live 8.1.1 // MetaSynth 5 // Pianoteq Pro // GSi VB3

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:59:35 PM »
Posted by: Sir Dancelot

I use the filterbank in conjunction with the Novation remoteSL.

I mapped all knobs and the 16 sequenser buttons.
It works great but sometimes I want to record/automate the steps using fast patterns, 16th in two beats for example.
In that case I only need 8 buttons.
It's also not possible to program in 3/4, which I personally never use but make it userdefinable would expand the options. preferably 0-32.

CadErik

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 05:07:31 PM »
This is the right place to post feature requests for FilterBank.
Please keep in mind that there are also techncial restrictions and we can not fullfill everyone's needs.

Any plans for a 64 bit version?

Burkuagh

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 05:18:57 AM »
I really really want up and down buttons on the filter selections so I can cycle through them quickly.

Burkuagh

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:21:10 PM »
Midi note control would be an extremely welcome addition to filterbank or perhaps a future version that could include in-depth envelopes as well.  I know all of filterbank's parameters are able to be controlled by midi CC messages but what I mean is the ability to send midi note information to the plugin in the manner of say a vocoder. 

The ability to trigger envelopes, LFOs, the use of key following and velocity sensitivity, etc... that could be linked to an instrument or source feeding audio into the plugin would add to its functionality immensely especially if able to be triggered with live play. 

I know in many cases host software can manage this function but it is more cumbersome and usually less intuitive than this kind of functionality existing within the plugin itself.

Burkuagh

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 05:24:14 AM »
The ability to modulate the dry/wet level with the LFOs/Envelope would be a welcome addition.

Also a wet/dry for each individual filter would be extremely useful.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:37:36 AM by Burkuagh »

Burkuagh

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 06:34:08 AM »
A non-panned version of the AM option would be nice.  A start position or phase control for the LFOs would be awesome.

LeVzi

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
Bit of a bump, but maybe a Pre - Post for the distortion section, for routing it before the filters.

One for the dubsteppers who'd use it.

GeorgeZ

• Sound Designer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »
Yes please  :P

Izishtke

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 11:03:59 PM »
Although I have discussed this earlier, but I would like all the same - Please return back Analog (Self Oscillation) filters type to FB3, as was in the earlier versions of FilterBank.
Again, this is a unique addition to create different textures. Once upon a time I liked FB because of this feature, and now it is very lacking.

(I tried to use the old version and the new separately (thanks again Bastiaan for the desire to help), but this is problematic for modern DAW, and unfortunately did not solve the issue.)