You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Which wav file formats are supported  (Read 9444 times)

jasonswe

Which wav file formats are supported
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
Hi,

I heard many discussing the Wave Designer plugin to create single cycle waveforms for use with Rayblaster but now when I export the wav and then import to Rayblaster I get the following error. "No PCM encoding". What have I done wrong? Thank you for any help.

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:06:05 PM by Markus Feil »

GeorgeZ

• Sound Designer
Re: no PCM encoding error when importing wav created in Wave Designer
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »
Hi Jason,

I believe WD exports 32 bit (24 maybe?) mono wav. To load em into RB they have to be converted to 16 bit (just tested and I was able to load a WD generated wav after converting to 16 bit). If you need help with that or a program for batch converting, just yell, I know of a few free ones that do the job fairly well.

Cheers,
George

jasonswe

Re: no PCM encoding error when importing wav created in Wave Designer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »
Thanks a lot for your reply, George. You know, you are absolutely right. I didn't even think to check the bit depth. I assumed these waves would automagically be importable because of the crossgrade offered. Anyway, I just loaded one of my WD waves into Audacity and I see it is in fact a 32-bit file. What soft are you using to batch convert by the way?

Cheers!
Jason

PS -  George, do you know if impulse waves we create from analyzing other filter responses have to be a certain bit-depth file? Will there be any difference in the sound if for example I recorded a clip and cropped a single-cycle waveform at 24-bit then export at 16-bit? Does this downsampling affect the impulse response? Thanks
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:31:02 PM by jasonswe »

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
Re: Which wav file formats are supported
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »
Hello Jason,

RB supports 8 bit, 16 bit and 24 bit wavs in mono or stereo.

32 bit wavs in general don't make much sense, since our hear can not hear any difference from what goes beyond the 16 bit (=CD resolution). It's just a waste of disc space.

I use Wavelab for batch processing.

Loading a waveform with 24bit or 32 bit to RB will result in the exactly the same audio quality as a 16 bit wave, since it dithers it. 8 bit wavs will result in audible hiss noise.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:12:43 PM by Markus Feil »

GeorgeZ

• Sound Designer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »
...and I use http://www.wavosaur.com/ It's free and a little bit basic, but does the batch conversion with only a few clicks: hit "b", select the folder where the files are to be converted, select a folder where the converted output files should go and select the conversion you want. Done.

jasonswe

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »
OK, thank you very much Markus and George.

Next question, will recorded amplitude of the wave sample make any difference on the outcome of the filter response when imported into RB? I am not certain what method is used to 'analyze' these short wav cycle samples and that is why I am asking what may seem like trivial questions. I notice that some filter responses report better than others when I import them. I only wonder what other factors I should consider when creating the samples to be used for analysis. By the way, I have already read the manual and Ingo's posts as well but I did not see mention of sample amplitude. Perhaps there are new suggestions as well after you have been experimenting more with programming using impulses. I intend to sample a couple hardware synths and I'd like to do this the best way possible for importing.

Also, thanks for the batch-processing program suggestions. I just downloaded Wavosaur and read the quick guide. It has some nice analysis tools and looks like a powerful application. Thank you very much for the suggestion. This could definitely replace my Audactiy editor for basic editing needs.

GeorgeZ

• Sound Designer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:38:55 PM »
Re amplitude... no idea. My guess would be yes.

As for waveosaur, ye, I think it beats audacity hands down feature wise, so glad I could help ;)

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »
A general rule which always applies:

Before you downconvert the bit-depth of any sample (from for example 24 bit to 16 bit) you should always normalize it. This must be always be done before and not after converting it. This way you get less roud-off errors which means a lower noise level of quantisation noise.

In RB the sample amlitude has only a minimal effect on the resulting sound.

jasonswe

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »
A general rule which always applies:

Makes complete sense. Thank you for the sage advice. Would you mind to briefly describe what is happening with the "PW sequences" when they are applied to the current OSC wave?

Not sure I understand completely what is happening there synthesis-wise. I definitely hear identifiable harmonic content in each "sequence" but what is happening to the loaded wave for example when, "JX<PW>Square -or- Tri<PW>Steps" sequence is applied? - Are these PW waves ("JX" and "Square") being *mixed* with the currently loaded OSC wave(s) so that there are actually 3 total waves multiplied in one OSC? I understand how conventional PWM operates. I just do not understand 100% how it is implemented in Rayblaster. Thanks for any help there. I did read the section manual by the way, but I am still a little unsure.

The Window of the OSC I think is simply superimposing an amplitude shape over the harmonic content of the entire OSC. That's what I've noticed so far anyway. That could be only partially the case.

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »
Hello Jason,

when you program sound you can use the PW sequences and the <PW> in RayBlaster just like a waveform selector and a pulsewidth - just like in the other 'converntional' Tone2 synths.
In general the PW equences and the PW add or remove certain harmonics from the sprectrum.

Please note that i can't explain the technology of the IMS synthesis deeply into technical details, because it is a new and innovative concept -  and in the past our innovation has been frequently copied by competitors. Sorry about this.  :angel:

Cheers!