You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Resynthesis feature in Rayblaster  (Read 13272 times)

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
Resynthesis feature in Rayblaster
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »
Recently i started using the Resynthesis feature in Rayblaster. There seems to be a little confusion about how it works compared to the Resynthesis in other synths like e.g. Alchemy.

I want to collect some informations and examples about the Rayblaster resynthesis in this thread.

For the start i collected some examples i already published at KVR using Rayblaster and Alchemy.
Those were inspired by a demo posted by Aiyn Zahev:
https://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/rayblaster-is-brilliant

I had searched the Rayblaster factory sounds for a comparable Vocal resynthesis example. I found one called "LetMeSeeUMove" in the "Vocal" sub-folder at "Rayblaster_sounds".

I created an audio demo of that preset:

RayBlaster - LetMeSeeYouMove

In that preset the Start Phase is modulated by the LFO with maximum modulation amount and the LFO waveform is a Sawtooth. Also the "Sync" and "BPM" switches in the oscillator section are on for that preset. With those off the result sounds quite weird again (like e.g. Granular synthesis). The maximum LFO modulation and those two switches on seem to be needed for "normal" sample playback.
At any other settings or without LFO modulation it will just sound weird but IMO those results are more interesting than a "normal" playback.

I created another demo where i replaced the LFO modulation with Modwheel modulation. The result sounds like this:

LetMeSeeYouMove - MW Mod 1

This is the result when in the original preset the "Sync" and "BPM" buttons in the oscillator section are turned off (LFO modulation still on):

LetMeSeeYouMove - Switches off 1

This is what happens if the LFO waveform in the original preset is switched from Sawtooth to S&H (Sample & Hold):

LetMeSeeYouMove - S&H Mod 1

Result when Envelope 2 is used for modulation (instead of LFO):

LetMeSeeYouMove - ENV2 Mod 1

The Arp Steps could be used for modulation too:

LetMeSeeYouMove - Arp Mod 1

Here the LFO speed in the original preset was set to 440 Hz (= audio rate):

LetMeSeeYouMove - LFO 440Hz 1

This happens with a very low LFO speed:

LetMeSeeYouMove - Slow LFO Mod 1

Here is an example using Modwheel modulation of the Start position with the granular engine of Alchemy (the sample is "Voice2.wav" from the Rayblaster samples folder):

Alchemy - LetsPartyTonight - MW 1

Here is the same using modulation with a Random LFO:

Alchemy - LetsPartyTonight - Random LFO Mod 1

This is the same as the first one with the Sampler mode of Alchemy:

Alchemy - LetsPartyTonight - Sampler - MW 1

This seems to sound too "clean" and simple compared to the other examples above.

More info and examples follow soon.

Ingo

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:09:34 PM by Bastiaan van Noord »
Windows 10 64-bit - Intel Core i5-3350P (4x3.10 GHz) - 8 GB DDR3 RAM - Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro DSP - AMD Radeon HD 8570 - Cubase Pro 8.5.20 & Pro 9.0.1 - Live 9.7.1 - Studio One 3.3, Bitwig Studio 1.3.15, Pro Tools 12.5.2

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
Re: Resynthesis feature in Rayblaster
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »
A) Informations about the Rayblaster Resynthesis

Here are some informations realated to the Rayblaster Resynthesis found in the manual:

1.)  The File menu

Resynthesis:  Opens the Quick Resynthesis importer. This is used to quick import & automatically configure the synth to use your sample.

Loop Resynthesis:  Opens the Quick Loop Resynthesis importer, This is used to quick import & automatically configure the synth to use your drumloop. Note that you'll get the best results with correctly looped files (e.g. 4 full measures)

2.) Harmonic:

Harmonic controls the harmonic content of the oscillator. When it is set to a value above 1 the waveform within the window is repeated for several times so it will sound more bright and harsh.
When negative values are used it will result mostly in a darker sound, since only a smaller part of the waveform will be part of the window.

The Start value defines the start offset of the waveform or the waveform's phase within the window function.

The Start value is for example used when you want to play granular or beat sliced sounds, where only a part of the sample is played back. If harmonic is set to a negative value the Start parameter can be used to scan forward or backward through a sample.
With these types of sounds usually a sawtooth LFO is routed to Osc Start Phase, this will allow the synth to scan-play though the sample in real time.

3.) Noise

Noise type:
Here you can choose between 3 different types of noise to add to the oscillator's sound
Pitch and Formant noise are useful to create a breathy/silky sound, to simulate filter instabilities,
or to add rhythmic chaos to granular sounds.

Noise level:
Defines how much noise is applied to the sound. Every oscillator waveform can smoothly morph to noise in real-time.

4.) Formant:

This is the most important parameter of Rayblaster. Formant controls the formant
frequency, the cutoff of the filter impulse responses, the pitch of granular sounds or
in general the brightness of your sound.

5.) Sync:

Switches the oscillator to another type of playback mode, this sounds more aggressive
and can for example be used to create the classic synced sound

Note:  as shown in the demo examples above the Sync button could be also necessary for "normal" sample playback.

6.) BPM:

When Osc BPM Sync is On the oscillator switches to another type of playback mode which will behave similar to an arpeggiator.
It plays back the oscillator with an very low frequency which is synced to your host's bpm rate. This mode is useful especially for beat sliced sounds or to add rhythmic patterns to a sound.
In this playback mode the Tune knob controls the rhythmic speed of the oscillator. Note that you might need to tweak Harmonic, Formant and Formant Key Follow a bit to get the desired results with BPM synced mode.

B) Additional tips/hints for the Resynthesis feature

1.) about Tuning

in resynthesis mode tuning works differently then in 'normal' ims, because it is a granular approach

- set Formant key follow to 100%
- use formant to tune it. fine tune it with shift+leftclick
- the 'tune' knob controls the granular density

So far the resynthesis feature doesn't support any autotuning or extract any tuning info from the samples.

i've noticed that the granuar approach works best with inharmonic content.

One thing that influcences detuning also is if you modify the start postition with an lfo (in fact it is like FM). The faster the lfo is the more detuning you'll get.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:05:49 PM by IngoWeidner »
Windows 10 64-bit - Intel Core i5-3350P (4x3.10 GHz) - 8 GB DDR3 RAM - Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro DSP - AMD Radeon HD 8570 - Cubase Pro 8.5.20 & Pro 9.0.1 - Live 9.7.1 - Studio One 3.3, Bitwig Studio 1.3.15, Pro Tools 12.5.2

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:58:16 PM »
Thanks Ingo, this will help clearing things up for sure :)

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
Thanks Ingo, this will help clearing things up for sure :)

Thanks, basically this discussion was started at KVR with that demo from Aiyn.

I'll try to add more informations and examples ASAP. That should also include audio demos of my own patches using the Resynthesis and maybe also some additional Tutorial presets would be nice.

Of course other members could post infos and examples here too.

Ingo
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:33:52 AM by IngoWeidner »

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »

Sounds good, in the meanwhile I've made the thread a sticky :)

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:41:58 PM »

Sounds good, in the meanwhile I've made the thread a sticky :)
Thanks again. Is it also possible to make my thread about Additional waveforms a sticky?

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:28:34 PM »
Yep & done  ;)

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
Yep & done  ;)
Thank. Just started to add more info at the second post which i had reserved for that.