You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: OSC 2 newbie question!!  (Read 8801 times)

Itron

• Email
OSC 2 newbie question!!
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:33:22 PM »
Can someone confirm that if you select OSC1 as off and OSC2 as say a WVSaw and select 2 in the combine box, that the note played will be 3 octaves lower than doing the same thing with OSC1? So if you then set the Oct to +3 you will achieve what you would do using Osc1 but with no Oct variations. By default using OSC2 without changing the OCtave value produces a deep "hammer drill" noise. (Can't think of the correct description!! :-[ ) The same behaviour is also displayed if using OSC4 standalone.

If you have OSC 1 assigned to anything apart from off, and OSC 2 to WVSaw, and then select 2 in the combine box OSC2 plays normally.

Is this by design?

Secondly is it possible to detune OSC 1 and OSC 2 when using both? So say set OSC1, to be 1 octave above OSC2? I appreciate you could do this between OSC1/2 and OSC3/4!

Thirdly, how can I vary the volumes between OSC1 and OSC2? From what I can see the modifier 1 and 2 only effect OSC1 (or OSC3) and I am trying to work out how to balance the volume between the modified and un modified Oscillators. Oh and while I am asking!!! From what I understand, there is no way to modify OSC3 and OSC4 on their own?

Sorry for so many newbie questions, I am reading the manual as well!!! Loving playing with Gladiator!!  :)

BW

Mark.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:02:36 PM by Itron »

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
Re: OSC 2 newbie question!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:15:40 PM »
Hi Mark and welcome to our forum :)

Can someone confirm that if you select OSC1 as off and OSC2 as say a WVSaw and select 2 in the combine box, that the note played will be 3 octaves lower than doing the same thing with OSC1?................

Is this by design?

Yes that is by design. It's a bit ackward, but being able to have the OSCs go 3 octaves lower has its advantages with patch design.
For example this effect patch uses a slow running OSC 2 & 4 to get click sounds fed through the LP fat filter:SlowOSCDrop(use save link as)

Secondly is it possible to detune OSC 1 and OSC 2 when using both? So say set OSC1, to be 1 octave above OSC2? I appreciate you could do this between OSC1/2 and OSC3/4!

Thirdly, how can I vary the volumes between OSC1 and OSC2? From what I can see the modifier 1 and 2 only effect OSC1 (or OSC3) and I am trying to work out how to balance the volume between the modified and un modified Oscillators.

Take a look at this patch: Mix volume & modifier(use save link as)

Mod slot 1 is used to raise OSC1's pitch and Mod slot 2 is used to mix OSC1's volume mix with OSC2. Though it has the disadvantage of losing two mod slots, I'll see if I can add a OSC1/2, OSC3/4 balance knob to the Gladiator feature list.

Oh and while I am asking!!! From what I understand, there is no way to modify OSC3 and OSC4 on their own?

I take it you mean OSC 2 & 4? If you use Modslot 3 you can use modifiers on OSC 2 and OSC 4.

example patch:  OSC2 & 4 mod(use save link as)

Sorry for so many newbie questions, I am reading the manual as well!!! Loving playing with Gladiator!!  :)

No problem at all, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask ;)

Itron

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 02:36:52 PM »
Thank you for your answers!! I am looking forward to trying this out this evening!!  :)

Itron

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »
Couldn't wait until this evening!! The examples are worth a thousand words!! Thank you! :)

Might it be worth considering pitch and volume knob to vary between OSC1 and 2 and, the same for between OSC3 and4, or is that what you meant by balance? (I hope that this suggestion is not being a bit presumptuous!!)  :-\

Oh and one other thing I couldn't work out!!  :-[ Is it possible in the morph window/mode to set a loop from a set start point to the end, and then back to the set start point and back to the end, so the morph keeps repeating backwards and forwards between the set start point and the end (Or in reverse from set start point to the start)? I can see that VVVV (and the inverse) start at the set start point, but then they seem to return all the way to the original start/finish. I have also read through the other various options, but couldn't see if it is possible to just select one section to keep repeating/looping without at some point going to the original start/end. Hope that makes sense!!

Many thanks for some great feedback and for a great synth!

BW

Mark.

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 01:58:25 PM »
Couldn't wait until this evening!! The examples are worth a thousand words!! Thank you! :)

Might it be worth considering pitch and volume knob to vary between OSC1 and 2 and, the same for between OSC3 and4, or is that what you meant by balance? (I hope that this suggestion is not being a bit presumptuous!!)  :-\

A balance option would work for Volume but not for Pitch, I'll put pitch per OSC up as a feature request.

Oh and one other thing I couldn't work out!!  :-[ Is it possible in the morph window/mode to set a loop from a set start point to the end, and then back to the set start point and back to the end, so the morph keeps repeating backwards and forwards between the set start point and the end (Or in reverse from set start point to the start)? I can see that VVVV (and the inverse) start at the set start point, but then they seem to return all the way to the original start/finish. I have also read through the other various options, but couldn't see if it is possible to just select one section to keep repeating/looping without at some point going to the original start/end. Hope that makes sense!!

It does :), currently that's not possible, but something like that in the form of a little lock button for the Morphmode's start position would make a good feature. I'll add it to the feature requests.

Many thanks for some great feedback and for a great synth!

You're welcome ;)

Itron

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »
Thank you for all your help! :)

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »