You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: OSC MOD automation possible?  (Read 8314 times)

alibongo5

• Email
OSC MOD automation possible?
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »
Hi
 i just bought Gladiator 2, my host is cubase 5 (version 5.1.1). I would like to know if there is any possible way of being able to automate the Osc Mod parameters instead of just using the morphmode? From reading the KVR forum i understand that not all parameters are automateable due to it being very intensive in 'realtime' but is ther anyway round this as i really want to be able to do this (although it sounds fine on my comp when manually moving a osc mod parameter?).
sorry if this is a stupid question and ther is a simple answer. Hope to hear from you soon, i love this synth so much!

Thanks
Alex

GeorgeZ

• Sound Designer
Re: OSC MOD automation possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 05:40:45 AM »
...sorry if this is a stupid question...

Never heard of such a thing.... Sure Bastiaan will swoop in here soon with an answer :)
Oh, and welcome to the G2 fold :D

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 04:54:27 PM »
Hi
 i just bought Gladiator 2, my host is cubase 5 (version 5.1.1). I would like to know if there is any possible way of being able to automate the Osc Mod parameters instead of just using the morphmode? From reading the KVR forum i understand that not all parameters are automateable due to it being very intensive in 'realtime' but is ther anyway round this as i really want to be able to do this (although it sounds fine on my comp when manually moving a osc mod parameter?).
sorry if this is a stupid question and ther is a simple answer. Hope to hear from you soon, i love this synth so much!

Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,

Sorry for the delayed response ;)

The Osc Mod parameters are indeed available for automation through the host, they're published as

'OSC1 MOD 1'
'OSC1 MOD 2'
'OSC12 MOD'

'OSC3 MOD 1'
'OSC3 MOD 2'
'OSC34 MOD'

Results will vary though, the best way to automate these will still be through the MorphModes, automation will often give small clicks, due to the processing needed by some of the mods.

alibongo5

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:18:49 PM »
Hi bastiann

Happy new year and thanks for the reply :). Unfortunately these parameters are not shown in the parameter list along with others (including LFO phase) in cubase, oddly enough they show up in ableton tho? Do you have any advice on how i cud get these parameters to show or is this a question for steinberg?

Here is a list of the parameters i do get:-

OSC12 LOOPSTART
OSC12 LOOPSPEED
OSC12 LOOPS. KEYF
OSC12 LOOP SYNC
OSC12 OCTAVE
OSC12 SEMI
OSC12 FINE
OSC34 LOOPSTART
OSC34 LOOPSPEED
OSC34 LOOPS. KEYF
OSC34 LOOP SYNC
OSC34 OCTAVE
OSC34 SEMI
OSC34 FINE
OSC5 OCTAVE
OSC5 KEY
OSC12 MIX
OSC34 MIX
OSC5 MIX
OSC12/34 AM
OSC UNISON SPREAD
OSC SPIRIT DEPTH
FILTER CUTOFF
FILTER RESO
FILTER ATTACK
FILTER DECAY
FILTER SUSTAIN
FILTER FADE
FILTER RELEASE
FILTER SEND
FILTER STEREO
FILTER KEY FOLLOW
FILTER VELOCITY
DRIVE
VOLUME
VOLUME VELOCITY
VOLUME ATTACK
VOLUME DECAY
VOLUME SUSTAIN
VOLUME FADE
VOLUME RELEASE
PAN
EQ LOW
EQ MID
EQ HIGH
FX1 MIX
FX2 MIX
LFO1 SPEED
LFO2 SPEED
LFO3 SPEED
MOD AMOUNT1
MOD AMOUNT2
MOD AMOUNT3
MOD AMOUNT4
MOD AMOUNT5
MOD AMOUNT6
MASTER VOLUME
Bypass

If this helps?

cheers alex

PS THANKS FOR THE WELCOME !

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »
Hi bastiann

Happy new year and thanks for the reply :). Unfortunately these parameters are not shown in the parameter list along with others (including LFO phase) in cubase, oddly enough they show up in ableton tho? Do you have any advice on how i cud get these parameters to show or is this a question for steinberg?

Here is a list of the parameters i do get:-

OSC12 snip..............

If this helps?

cheers alex

PS THANKS FOR THE WELCOME !

Hi Alex,

Happy new year :)

I think both Sonar and Live use a list of NRPNs ("Non-Registered Parameter Numbers" ). With this list you should be able to automate everything, though I'm not sure how Cubase handles these.

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
    • Tone2.com audiosoftware
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »
Hello alibongo5,

the OSC modifiers are non-realtime parameters. That's why they don't appear in your list. Non-realtime does mean that every time when a modifier or modifier value is changed, Gladiator has to recalculates thousands of waveforms. This is technically necessary for the HCM synthesis. The preprocessing is done in a second idle thread in the background to avoid CPU spikes and audio dropouts. During this time the display shows 'preprocessing'.
You can find furher details about the modifiers in the handbook.

Best Regards,
Markus Feil