You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Gladiator3 public beta Mac (deprecated)  (Read 10954 times)

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
Gladiator3 public beta Mac (deprecated)
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:33:42 PM »
Download link:
https://www.tone2.com/download.html

The update to v3.0 is a major update, which is available for free for all Gladiator2 users. It includes a larger and resizeable GUI, a patch browser, enhanced sound quality, a bigger sonic range, a more user-friendly interface and many new features. Gladiator3 is downward compatible. Existing song-projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary. They will benefit from the enhanced sound quality.

New features:

- Created a new interface, which is nearly twice as large
- By clicking on 'EDITOR SIZE' you can select from four different interface sizes
- Added a comfortable, new patch browser
- New sound-quality mode 'high-end'
- Added context sensitive tooltips with detailed descriptions for all controls
- The patches can be ranked by clicking on the stars in the patch browser
- The patch rankings are stored within the file "Ranking.rnk"
- 6 additional lfo waveforms: "Stair 4 up","Stair 8 up","Stair 4 down","Stair 8 down","Stair 4 up/down","Stair 8 up/down"
- Added handbooks in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian to the new help menu
- New loop mode "Noise", which jumps to a random section
- New loop mode "\/50%", which ping-pong-loops 50% of the spectrum
- New loop mode "\/25%", which ping-pong-loops 25% of the spectrum
- 3 additional phase-modifiers "Zzzap", which sound like a laser
- 3 additional phase-modifiers "Boing", which sound like a reverse laser
- 2 additional phase-modifiers "Odd noise" and "Even noise", which noisify the spectrum
- 2 additional phase-modifiers "Odd 90" and "Even 90", which sound like a sub-oscillator
- Information tags about the patches are shown in the patch browser
- Extended halftone-range for the arpeggiator from -23 to +23
- Added cross-product-compatibility: Save->'Export...' exports the sound of osc1 as an Icarus compatible wavetable in wav format
- Video tutorials can be shown from the help menu
- Updates and additional sounds can be accessed directly from the help menu

Enhancements in sound:

- More linear frequency response for oscillators playing below 100Hz
- More precise timing for all sample-rates
- Replaced all micro-tuning algorithms with a better ones. The new ones are more subtle and sounds less 'detuned'.
- The late-reverb-tail of 'Reverb small' sounds less detuned
- The late-reverb-tail of 'Reverb large' sounds less detuned
- The late-reverb-tail of 'Reverb ultra' sounds less detuned
- All effects do come with default settings now and are more useable

Enhancements for the interface:

- Re-rendered the old GUI with sharper texts
- The envelope's attack, decay, and release time is displayed in seconds
- Registration screen is now also available in German
- Renaming a preset is more straightforward
- The version number now can be also shown from within help menu
- The updated credits can be shown by clicking on help menu
- The parameter info display is able to show longer texts now
- Mousewheel support for knobs and list selectors
- Double-clicking a knob or slider resets it to the default value
- More detailed spectrum display
- Manuals on the Mac now can be opened from within the plugin
- Better init patch
- Enhanced graphics  
- Added messages boxes with info for some possible errors
- Many smaller enhancements

Changes:

- Loading and saving banks can now be accessed with a new menu called 'load' and 'save'
- Renamed some parameters to be more consistent with the industry standards
- The envelope's fade parameter now works as expected with long attack times
- Handbooks have been moved to Gladiator3_data
- on the Mac support files are now stored in /Library/Application Support/Tone2/Gladiator3_data/
- Updated some texts
- Enhanced hardware compatibility for midi program changes

Fixes:

- The timing in 44Khz and 48Khz could have been out-of-sync if large block-sizes were used
- Fixed some typos
- Fixed a couple of wrong pixels
- Fixed a possible bug with 'static' loop mode
- Compatibility fix for the 'm' key
- Fixed a possible crash when the splash-screen was opened during closing
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:41:44 PM by Markus Krause »

zvenx

Re: Gladiator3 public beta Mac
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »
Firstly, thanks so much for moving the G3Data file.... I also then moved the rest of the gladiator stuff to that folder.
When I initiated an instance it asked me for the activation license, which I directed it to and it was fine.

Issue now is in cubase some of the sizes have screwed up GUI interfaces.

Also as I mentioned or was mentioned in the PC beta, it would be nice to be able to choose a default size of the user's choice instead of having to cycle thru everytime.

thanks
rsp

moved theses:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnxg9bkcrel8gz3/Screen%20Shot%202018-07-30%20at%205.45.15%20AM.jpg?dl=0

to:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ws03bcx0kya1dkm/Screen%20Shot%202018-07-30%20at%205.46.11%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Odd Gui:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lv1b0zt2jcucxy/Screen%20Shot%202018-07-30%20at%205.50.46%20AM.jpg?dl=0

and:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/emksckosl4iih4v/Screen%20Shot%202018-07-30%20at%205.51.01%20AM.jpg?dl=0

rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

zvenx

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »
This was also fixed.

For whatever reason Pads: PA Phasor Gator AVB has been saved at Master Volume 0 so it is very very low in volume (not mute though strangely) since we can't resave the factory banks could you amend this please.
thanks
rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

zvenx

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »
I am not sure I still have all my expansions accessible in G3.

For instance I know I have Dance Trance.
I see its license in Documents/Tone2 but don't see it in G3 interface.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zi5eydb9h2l91kq/Screen%20Shot%202018-07-30%20at%207.08.49%20AM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8g2gg4dbc8f127/Screen%20Shot%202018-07-30%20at%207.09.38%20AM.jpg?dl=0

also I made a gif of the gui resize issue:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3in4457q1tw2y6q/g3%20gui.gif?dl=0

rsp

Figured it out. the banks and licenses still has to be in the place they shouldn't be.... moving them either to Dcouments/Tone2 or Library/Application Support/Tone2 doesn't work.
I think if we are moving the stuff out of the folder that they shouldn't it should be moving all of the stuff.
We are almost there.
thanks
rsp
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:23:54 PM by zvenx »
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

zvenx

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:46:23 PM »
Yep there are two banks. Electronic and Dance Trance that I have that show up on PC but not on Mac G3.... Both showed up in G2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qr71uvocgnvxlx/missing%20g2.png?dl=0

thanks

rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

zvenx

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 03:35:34 PM »
And... :)

I have this bank:
http://www.xenossoundworks.com/gladiator.html

Is it possible to make it so that like your more recent plugins it is easier to have third party banks always in the browser?
I have to load this everytime I want to use it afaik... would be nice as in Saurus, Icarus etc, I can just put it in one location and have it show up in the browser.
thanks
rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »
Some hosts require a restart of the plugin if plugin windows are resized. Some others do not support it at all. I can add a message box which informs the user about this. The issue can only be properly solved from the host's side. From the plugin's side you only can do dirty hacks which might break with the next host update.
If you use Cubase you use use the VST version instead of the AU. It's Steinberg's native format and works more relieable than AU.

The t2k file location will not be changed. Reason: Cross-version compatibility, possible stability issues and a more comfortable free upgrade. Further issues: If i would change the location the complete product activation and all manuals, guides and installers would have to be updated for *all* users.
I already made a huge effort (just or you?) to move Gladiator3_data to a new location. I hope you appreciate the current solutions which is a good compromise.

Handbooks will be replaced by manuals.  ;)

Markus
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:43:35 PM by Markus Krause »

zvenx

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »
I 'never' use au's. wish I had the option not to even in stall them. So indeed it is the vst versions I am referring to.

The issue with the gui is there is only one set of plugins (fxpansion DCAM SS) that required restart of the cubendo host for resizing that I can remember.

But since G3 always defaults to the largest size, that wouldn't work, because if I make it smaller, quit cubendo, restart cubendo using G3 will once again go to its largest size.
I have tons of other plugins that resize fine. I can give you a list if you wish.

Don't be surprised on kvr when it becames an issue still. As you read in the thread there, it certainly wasn't just me.
Like I said, I appreciate the effort, but yours is the only plugin that I or anyone I know owns that puts stuff in that folder....and I have probably over 200 plugins...

yes Manuals :)
rsp
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:11:04 PM by zvenx »
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 10:17:26 AM »
I will add some changes to the resizing for the release version. I've been running some tests. Currently it works as AU in Logic, but fails in the VST version on the Mac. The edtior shonwing/hiding will not longer stored with the song.

Markus

zvenx

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »
ok. so you know the vst version behaves the same way on PC Windows 10 in Cubendo.
It always opens at the largest size.
rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »
What i know for sure: Cubase 9.5 on PC introduced a new feature where you can save presets for VST plugins. Sadly Steinberg does not update the frame size of the Window properly when the plugin is opened. They seem to override rect.bottom and rect.right. I did had to do a special hack to make it compatible with Cubase. FL Studio and Live 9 suffer from a similar issue.
Fact is also that many host behave differently and even buggy when it comes to resizing, opening and closing Windows. It is very, very difficult to make it work in all hosts.

The Window resizing will be reworked and behave more intuitive for the next Gladiator update. I am currently running some test and it looks good.

zvenx

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 01:27:41 PM »
If you are speaking about default presets that has been around with SB for years, long long long before Cubase 9.5 :-)

I am not sure that is correct, I have used it for years to save sizes, exponential audio, u-he, Tal, tons of them i have used it for, unless you are saying all of them use hacks...... been using it for more than 10+ years to save sizes...
Glad you are fixing it though.
rsp
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:02:01 PM by zvenx »
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »
Hello zvenx,

i don't know about hacks and the sourcecodes of the other developers. What i can say for sure is that Mike from refx once told me that he avoids resizing plugins because he couldn't properly make it work in the various hosts.

I reprogrammed a part of the gui code.
The compaibilty problem with resizing should be solved now.

I appreciate your effort on giving feedback. But please treat us developers with a little respect. Gladiator3 is a free update to which i already spent more than 3 months of work without any payment. Receiving always only negative feedback simply hurts and demotivates me. Sorry about getting so emotional here.

Markus
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:41:50 PM by Markus Krause »

zvenx

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 03:50:32 PM »
Yeah, I guess thats why nexus 2 has resize on pc but doesn't work on mac.

You are right, I am a constructive criticism vs praise kind of person, that is I prefer someone giving me constructive criticism 999/1000 than praise and I automatically do that the same with other people.

All the work is appreciated, just that they were some inaccuracies in some of your statements which I tried to correct, maybe not in the most constructive way.
Apologies, and thanks for the work.
rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Bodiah22

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »
We definitely appreciate the update to Gladiator, Markus! :)

I know I'm thrilled about it. I didn't expect it and I'm very excited to see it happening for free. :D

The new GUI sizing is great. The patch browser is great. etc etc. Thank you!