You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Suggestions for Icarus  (Read 4376 times)

BurntWings

Suggestions for Icarus
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:51:27 AM »
I'm new to Icarus and trying to find my way around this powerful tool.
I like the general GUI-Style very much, but would like to suggest to think about further improving...

1.) It would be great to add a more intuitive modulation source to target assignment. Could be like:
a.) right-click on a target and get a context menu showing available sources
b.) do it like in steinbergs retrologue where you can drag a modulation source to a target
c.) do it like in the nice little helm synth...cannot describe it in a few words...better try it yourself (http://tytel.org/helm/)
This should only be a add-on to be able to build the basic routings more comfortably. The matrix editor is then excellent for fine tweaking settings.

2.) Arppegio-Editor: I have a hard time to use this tool because it's so versatile but the editor comes with kinda cryptic display. It's for instance hard to see the actual pitch of a step that is not +12 or -12 transposed. Sure you can hoover over the step symbol and see the value in the "message" viewport below the patch selector. I think it would be more useable - in terms of keeping the eyes focused on the editor pane - to have a tooltip right in place if you hoover over the step.
Second is the partly cryptic bottom line modifiers with no tooltip either. I'm bad in memorizing things ;-) and thus have to consult the manual every time I wonder "what was that '<' again for?"...

What I think here - I admit it might sound a bit weird here: Could parts of the Synth-GUI be modularized in a way that users can code their own GUI for it? Think of a Javascript/Lua/ActiveScript Interface of Icarus to be able to start a custom Editor which then handing over a defined Datastructure back to the Core Synth Engine...

3.) What about adding a clear / versatile signal path routing window. I like how it's done in massive where I can see how signal is flowing. And I even like the way the filter routing is defined in massive. It's easy to control and figure out how signals flow through the two filters...

To make it clear, I love Icarus and this suggestions is NOT mean as a rant, it's meant as a chance to further improve Icarus because I see it's tremendous potential!

Greets from Munich!

Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:05:19 AM by Markus Krause »

Alex_Longard

• Email
Re: Suggestions for Icarus 1.5
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:25:56 PM »
Great idea to create gui on scripting language!
This allows blind users to make Icarus available for screenreader software.

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
    • Tone2.com audiosoftware
Re: Suggestions for Icarus 1.5
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
I included this for v1.1