You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: automation and modulation  (Read 6951 times)

leister

• leister
    • Email
automation and modulation
« on: October 14, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Hello I've some automation and modulation problems (on Imac osX leopard, ableton live 8.2)

The automation range for arp type and sync are very small, I can't automat it.
This is strange because it's a new problem who became with multi preset...  :(

At the beginning I work with one preset, with modify arp, I would to modulate it so no problem for smaller vallue, but in live in session vue you haven't automation , only modulation, so I record my preset with higher value for cut off reso arp type and arp sync, and use the modulation in clip to have the correct value...

So no problem

But now I use an other preset I do the same stuff, record the preset, and when I switch between, preset, it's never the same  value..

So I go in arrangement vue to fix the problem, i try to automate the arp sync and type and the automation range is to small.
And there is no problem with cutoff and reso...

Hope you understand me

I'll do other test and post back. thank's

leister

• leister
    • Email
Re: automation and modulation
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »
Ok

The range for arp typ and sync are very small, so I have to record the preset with small value in order to be able to  modulate it (as the fine parameter in DMX protocol, pan fine tilt fine...)

But it's a reel problem for automation (in arrangement vue)

Let me know if Im wrong or if it's a know problem, or if I m alone with that and if it's a configuration problem...

It's also a fucking know problem with live modulation, you have to know what you will do before, because if you want modulate a parameter with higher value you have to put the value to the max, and drawing modulation in all clip... :-[ >:(

I'll try with macro knob and macro min and max value...

thank's

leister

• leister
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:27:46 PM »
So it's ok with macro knobs,

I've mapped the
    arp type to macro 1 with highest value 0,02
    arp sync to macro 2 with highest value 0,03

I do other test and this is the same problem with maybe all the parameter who are in screen (I didn't test all , only autochord, steps...)

So let me know  :o

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »
Hi leister,

The problem in this case is that the arpeggiator settings are not meant to be automatable.

Plugins report to Live what functions of the synth are not meant to be published as automatable, but Live ignores this reported list and instead publishes a list containing all functions, including those who are not automatable.
The end result is a list filled with items available for automation that won't work right or have a limited range of automation, as you've noticed it is possible to use small and precise steps to automate some functions.

We're not sure why Ableton chose to ignore this, but the way they handle this is far from the way it should work.

leister

• leister
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:31:39 PM »
ok thank's I'm not mad or not at all...

Thank's for your work, and no matter I ve found a way who I can use in live performance... ;)

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 02:41:11 PM »
That's good to hear :)

As you'll notice different host providers each have their own implementation of VST(i) related matters, some work...some need workarounds/code additions from plugin manufacturers, some simply go against the VST SDK and are very difficult (if not impossible) to solve without changes on the host manufacturer's side.