You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: How 2 build analog sounds in Saurus  (Read 6128 times)

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
    • Tone2.com audiosoftware
How 2 build analog sounds in Saurus
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »

Saurus can do 'analog' as well as 'modern' sounds. What kind of sounds it does depends on what the sound designer does.

A good place to start are the 'Analog Poly' and 'Analog Mono' patches within the Tutorial patch category.

Here are some tips for 'analog' sound design:

- Osc 'DRIFT' should be on
- Osc 'PHASE' must be set to 'free and global'!
- No Reverb, Delay, Boost and stereo unison. These effects are too 'modern' and didn't exist in the 70s in such a high quality.
- Use a little 'GLIDE'
- Use 'SOFT' resonance to simulate filter saturation on high resonance
- Route 'CONST' as source to 'Noise' as target in the mod matrix to add some noise
- For more instable oscs use 'WhiteNoise' or 'PinkNoise' as source and Osc1/2 fine as target in the mod matrix
- For more filter saturation use 'CONST' as source and 'Osc1/2 Vol' as target in the matrix
- Use a little 'DRIVE' for a more saturated sound
- You can get additional instability be routing 'VoiceOut' as source to 'Osc fine' in the matrix
- A little 'TUBE' can make it sound more vintage
- Use short attack times instead of 0 attack times for a more juicy sound
- Use 'TONE' settings from 0 to -100 for a warmer sound

IngoWeidner

• Internal
    • Email
Re: How 2 build analog sounds in Saurus
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »
Hi Markus,

many thanks for this. I think those are really useful tips.

I have already used some of those for my own sounds. I have not used Delay so far but a little Reverb and some Chorus (which should be OK for analog style sounds). Some of the old analog poly synths seemed to have a natural stereo spreading (e.g. Jupiter 8, OB-X) which could be emulated with the Unison stereo spread.
Another way to do this in Saurus could be routing VoiceOut to Pan or Spread. I'll check that.

I'll test to add more instabilities with using Noise or the VoiceOut soon.

Ingo
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:45:17 AM by IngoWeidner »
Windows 10 64-bit - Intel Core i5-3350P (4x3.10 GHz) - 8 GB DDR3 RAM - Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro DSP - AMD Radeon HD 8570 - Cubase Pro 8.5.20 & Pro 9.0.1 - Live 9.7.1 - Studio One 3.3, Bitwig Studio 1.3.15, Pro Tools 12.5.2