You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: General question about the Ranking.rnk file  (Read 1052 times)

jonetsu

• Email
General question about the Ranking.rnk file
« on: October 21, 2023, 05:48:06 PM »
Hello,

I would like to reset all preset ranking to 1 (or 0 if possible at all) in one operation for every synth.  Is it possible by editing the Ranking.rnk file ?  Currently in this file there's a single column of number '3' without anything else.  Replacing these 3 with 1 (or 0) using a macro in a text editor would be very quick.  Will it achieve the desired result ? I prefer to ask before editing the file.

Thanks,

Al
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 09:44:58 AM by Markus Krause »

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
    • Tone2.com audiosoftware
Re: General question about the Ranking.rnk file
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 09:44:50 AM »
Hello jonetsu,

if you delete a .rnk file the ranking is reset for the category of the same name (=directory that contains the fxp files). A reset means an average ranking of 3 stars.

The whole idea behind the ranking system is this:
- The default ranking is always 3 stars. This is intended to be an 'average' ranking.
- If you dislike a sound you can set it to 1 star.
- If you love a sound you can use 5 stars.

You can change the number of stars with the patch browser.
You can also edit the .rnk files with a text editor like Windows notepad.

Best Regards,
Markus

jonetsu

• Email
Re: General question about the Ranking.rnk file
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 09:22:32 PM »
Hello Markus,

Thanks for the reply.  I tend not to dislike sounds and tag them as such.  From experience it happened several times that a disliked sound becomes a good one a year or two later in a different context.  If I tag it negatively I could very well not hear it anymore, always ignoring it when browsing.  So in this way a sound, a patch that has no score is one that's still 'open' for any kind of project, which might be different from year to year.

OK then, I'll edit the ranking files with emacs and use a macro to replace the number 3 with a 0.

Cheers,

Al