You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Pitched noise in editor  (Read 2260 times)

Tellor

Pitched noise in editor
« on: August 20, 2020, 10:36:13 PM »
Hello Markus!

I want to have a noise waveform sweeping to a saw with the wave knob. The problem is that i can't figure out how to lower the pitch of the noice (so it sounds like noice). When i init the selection with white noise i can lower the octaves in the osc panel, but this also affects the pitch of the following saw.

So in other words: is there a way to choose individual pitches for the different waves in the wave editor? So if i hit the key C4 on my keyboard the noice wave plays C0, and then sweeps to a saw wave that plays C4. Sorry if i missed something obvious.

Many thanks!

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
Re: Pitched noise in editor
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 12:55:42 AM »
Hello Tellor,

1) In the wavetable editor create one slot with a saw and fill one with noise
2) Select the saw and do Spectrum->Interval by value-> 8 . This will play the saw in a higher octave
3) Set Osc Octave to -4

Markus

Tellor

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 06:59:31 PM »
Thank you Markus!

Tellor

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »
One more question Markus:

If i interval a saw wave by 8, and then play it in the lower octaves, it sounds different from a pure init saw playing in the same lower octaves. This is really not a problem, since using the interval you usually want to play in the higher octaves, i'm just curious about the effect interval has on the waveform in the lower octaves?

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 11:22:19 AM »
If you take a look at the spectrum in the wavetable-editor you can see that it has been shifted upwards.
A saw at the base frequency has wavelength of 2048 and 1024 harmonics. If you use interval 8 it has 1024/8 = 128 harmonics. As a result it does sound darker when you play it with a low pitch.

Tellor

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 10:56:00 PM »
Great, thank you for the explanation Markus, appreciate it!  :)