Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modulation  (Read 169 times)
Dimi

Email
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:44:15 PM »

Hi,

I bought Gladiator 3 and it has tons of parameters but only a handful of them can be modulated. Why? Why such waste of potential? Why donīt you enable the modulation of ANY parameter like in most other synths? You can not even modulate filter and volume envelope.

Iīve noticed the same in Icarus and stopped using it for this reason.

And please add drag & drop modulation assignment instead of clicking and selecting source and destination.
As someone who does tons of sound design every day I feel very restricted using your synths in this regard.
On the other hand, the randomization features are superb. I really wish you would implement controlled randomization (allowing to lock individual parameters). Together with proper modulation your synths would be among the best.

exmatproton

Ae

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:35:29 PM »

Hi,

I bought Gladiator 3 and it has tons of parameters but only a handful of them can be modulated. Why? Why such waste of potential? Why donīt you enable the modulation of ANY parameter like in most other synths? You can not even modulate filter and volume envelope.

Iīve noticed the same in Icarus and stopped using it for this reason.

And please add drag & drop modulation assignment instead of clicking and selecting source and destination.
As someone who does tons of sound design every day I feel very restricted using your synths in this regard.
On the other hand, the randomization features are superb. I really wish you would implement controlled randomization (allowing to lock individual parameters). Together with proper modulation your synths would be among the best.

+1

Icarus_Gladiator2/3_RayBlaster2_Nemesis_Saurus2_Electra2(x)_BiFilter2_Filterbank3_Warmverb

-exm-
Markus Krause
Tone2.com audiosoftware
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »

Hello Dimi,

in Gladiator the OSC parameters which affect the spectrum displays can not be modulated, because these parameters are non-realtime. Our computers are too slow to handle this without glitches. For this purpose Gladiator has special morph-lfos which are located below of the spectrum displays.

Please note that a naive implementation of everything-can-moculate-anything like in some other synths can result in glitches, bad sound quality or even broken patches. This is not the case with Tone2 products. We only allow stuff that works properly.

Drag & drop assignment for Gladiator is a feature that could be added in a future update. So far noone has requested it.

All other modern Tone2 synths already support drag & drop modulation and can modulate nearly any parameter with high sound quality. We regularly release free updates with many additional features and enhancements. Make sure that you installed them.

Best Regards,
Markus

Dimi

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »

Hello Dimi,

in Gladiator the OSC parameters which affect the spectrum displays can not be modulated, because these parameters are non-realtime. Our computers are too slow to handle this without glitches. For this purpose Gladiator has special morph-lfos which are located below of the spectrum displays.

Please note that a naive implementation of everything-can-moculate-anything like in some other synths can result in glitches, bad sound quality or even broken patches. This is not the case with Tone2 products. We only allow stuff that works properly.

Drag & drop assignment for Gladiator is a feature that could be added in a future update. So far noone has requested it.

All other modern Tone2 synths already support drag & drop modulation and can modulate nearly any parameter with high sound quality. We regularly release free updates with many additional features and enhancements. Make sure that you installed them.

Best Regards,
Markus

Hi Markus,

thank you for taking the time to reply.
I canīt agree with you regarding the statement:

Please note that a naive implementation of everything-can-moculate-anything like in some other synths can result in glitches, bad sound quality or even broken patches

You are the one who build the tools, we are the ones who buy and use them.
Let the choice, which parameter we want to modulate be ours. Donīt lock us out!
This is the reason why many sound designers and musicians are forced to work with more than one DAW, just to be able to modulate more than the obvious parameters. I have to use M4L to be able to modulate the parameters I really need.
I donīt like this approach, but it works. And it doesnīt produce any glitches or bad sound quality at all.

But being forced to use and learn completely different DAWs and tools just to be able to work properly is no solution.
Believe me, you can only loose with such restrictive attitude.

Markus Krause
Tone2.com audiosoftware
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »

Hello Dimi,

there is a missunderstanding.
After reading your last post it is clear to me that you really mean the 'automation parameters' which are exposed to the host and not the 'modulation targets' which are part of the synth's mod-matrix. Please note that these parameters are part of different sections. They are not necessarily related to each other from the technical point of view.

Exposing more 'automation parameters' to the hosts is pretty easy. I have added your suggestion to the feature requests for Gladiator 3.1. I will implement it if it does not break the downwards compatibility with older versions.

Best Regards,
Markus

exmatproton

Ae

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »

Hello Dimi,

After reading your last post it is clear to me that you really mean the 'automation parameters' which are exposed to the host and not the 'modulation targets' which are part of the synth's mod-matrix. Please note that these parameters are part of different sections. They are not necessarily related to each other from the technical point of view.

Exposing more 'automation parameters' to the hosts is pretty easy. I have added your suggestion to the feature requests for Gladiator 3.1. I will implement it if it does not break the downwards compatibility with older versions.

Best Regards,
Markus

awesome!

Icarus_Gladiator2/3_RayBlaster2_Nemesis_Saurus2_Electra2(x)_BiFilter2_Filterbank3_Warmverb

-exm-
Dimi

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 07:16:27 PM »

Hello Dimi,

Best Regards,
Markus

Hi Markus,

sorry if my post was misleading. Yes, I was indeed referring to the automation parameters.
A future implementation in Gladiator would be really great and much appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: