You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: NanoHost feature requests  (Read 12174 times)

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
NanoHost feature requests
« on: April 19, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »
High-end quality oversampling for the plugins

Alex_Longard

• Email
Re: NanoHost feature requests
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 04:14:51 PM »
Please add debug mode for plugins, for logging opcodes.

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:06:38 AM »
requested by email: Audio input, keyboard

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 09:38:48 AM »
by email: have a configurable launch folder option (I don't use the steinberg folder)

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 09:48:01 AM »
"Hi, I just found out about NanoHost. I see that it can record a wav file of the output.  How about a midi file?  In most cases, I guess that would be the same as recording the input of a midi controller.   Any chance that might be added in the future?" 

abject39

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 08:13:17 PM »
First, I love Nanohost and wish I had it years ago. It makes working in standalone so much easier for sound design and testing plugins. I also would like to request audio/ audio file input so that Nanohost can be used to host effect plugins. Additionally, I would like to request VST3 support.

abject39

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 06:56:03 AM »
Can you also consider adding a virtual/typing keyboard support? To send midi into the instruments through the host itself. This helps if the plugin doesn't have it's own virtual keyboard.

aldoofbanga

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 01:01:12 PM »
Hello,

I am planning to use Nanohost for live mixing in the box with Traktor.

What would be awesome is if it could accept MIDI clock IN, so that it sync with an external source (in this case Traktor in the box)

Just an idea. Thanks for the great, light-weight VST host, it is very useful!

Cheers
Al

aldoofbanga

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 03:29:55 PM »
Ability to preselect monitor and mix asio outputs
Ability to quickly toggle monitor and mix asio outputs

Encore

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 10:36:46 PM »
Hello,

thanks a lot for this great tool but I have nevertheless 3 4 requests:

1) I second Mr "abject39" (a few posts above) who asked for a virtual piano keyboard in order to be able to play some note using the mouse in case no external midi keyboard is connected .
it would be very usefull for plugins which do not have their own embeded keyboard available.

2) Could it be also possible to allow the possibility to resize the VST plugin GUIs/window please ? (if supported by the plugin itself) as sometime plugin's GUIs are rather tiny and I could not found how to resize the Nanohost window .
 i.e by grabbing its corner as it is the case with Image-Line minihost but which does not support all of my plugins so that's why I replaced it by your NanoHost as my default VST host from now.

3) a quiteannoying feature: could it be possible to remove the fact that the Nanohost window is "always on top" and covers all other windows without teh possibility to change the Z order of any windows  below it  to make it visible ? (on my Windows 10 64bits at least) as sometime when a dialog box is open by theplugin (i.e. a registration one asking to enter a serial number) it  goes BEHIND the nanohost windows and it then very difficult then  to grab it and move it on the Nanohost window side as nanohost is covering/hiding the dialogbox...

4) I have associated .dll files to be open with your  NanoHost64bit.exe executable.
This way , by simply double clicking a VST dll it is open automatically by your NanoHost executable. This is really great but... ( I have no idea if it could be possible technically speaking )  I am dreaming  ;D of a tool/executable  that I could associate with a .dll file extension which could detect if the VST  .dll is a x64 or x86 version and then open the  VST dll with the appropriate NanoHost64bit.exe or the NanoHost32bit.exe executable in order to avoid me to do it manually...
This would be the "panacea" and a killer feature compared to all other existing VST hosts even paid ones.
edit: the detection of x86 or x64 type coudl be simply based on the VST Plugin folder path...

Appart of that it is a very promising tool and I love it already.  :-*
Thanks a lot also for making it available for FREE,
Best regards, Eric
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:12:06 AM by Encore »

Encore

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 04:26:04 PM »
4) I have associated .dll files to be open with your  NanoHost64bit.exe executable.
This way , by simply double clicking a VST dll it is open automatically by your NanoHost executable. This is really great but... ( I have no idea if it could be possible technically speaking )  I am dreaming  ;D of a tool/executable  that I could associate with a .dll file extension which could detect if the VST  .dll is a x64 or x86 version and then open the  VST dll with the appropriate NanoHost64bit.exe or the NanoHost32bit.exe executable in order to avoid me to do it manually...
This would be the "panacea" and a killer feature compared to all other existing VST hosts even paid ones.
edit: the detection of x86 or x64 type could be simply based on the VST Plugin folder path...

Hi all,

In fact the point 4) I mentioned above gave me an idea: "why not creating myself a small application which could do the switching between x64 and x86 plugins types automatically for me ?"

I started then to search on the web how I could create an executable (I am under MS Windows) easily from a stupid batch file but without success until I found the ps2exe tool ...  then I had to learn the basics of Microsoft Power Shell.

The results of this is that  after a few weeks I finally managed to make something working. It is far to be perfect but it is doing the job for me.
I called it VSTHostSwitcher.
I have tried to document all the necessary steps to modify the script to adapt it to custom needs (paths) in a read me file. So here is the link if it could help someone who may have the same needs as me I will be really happy to help him:

https://github.com/mailbox-encore/VstHostSwitcher

Cheers, eric

p.s. @Markus, do not hesitate to delete this post if you think it is not appropriate as the topic is "nano Host features requests"...

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 11:40:50 AM »
Hello Encore,

thank you for your github project. It is an interesting approach. I will examine it closely after the release of Icarus. There might be some pitfalls that might arise and should be examined: dll files are also used for windows drivers. I am not sure how security software and the OS reacts when a dll is linked automatically to another software. We also must make sure that if a user clicks on a non-vst dll no crash happens.

Best Regards,
Markus

Encore

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »
There might be some pitfalls that might arise and should be examined: dll files are also used for windows drivers. I am not sure how security software and the OS reacts when a dll is linked automatically to another software. We also must make sure that if a user clicks on a non-vst dll no crash happens.
Hello Markus,

effectively, this is a good point, I haven't thought about shared dlls... I am not sure a lot of people apart of me is interested anyway by this script  ;)
therefore if only me is using this feature,  I will paid attention to open only VST dlls.  Therefore, I do not think you should loose too much time to adapt the Nano-Host code to prevent him from crashing due to this kind of usage...

Cheers, Eric

chrishanke

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 02:07:37 PM »
A better Random Patch generator for example:

I have a OLD HOST who deal perfectly this ( CHAINER )

Mix parameters between 2 presets
Chosing a % off randomization - 10% - 50% - etc..
Randomize entire Bank of 128 presets

and PLEASE make this host for MAC to

Best

Encore

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 03:18:00 PM »
hello,

By the way if you could add also the support for VST3 to your Nanohost application one day it would be the ideal tool...
Thanks

Eric