You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Custom Icarus skin  (Read 4559 times)

tatsyn

Custom Icarus skin
« on: August 30, 2018, 11:45:45 PM »
Hello everyone i have done an Icarus Custom skin....

Before anything else i should refer that: this is not an official Tone2 release.

here are some previews of the skin with diferent colour settings (yes, icarus defalt skin color options still work and apply to this skin [glitching sometimes though])

preview: https://imgur.com/a/nsTUYPO

download link: https://www89.zippyshare.com/v/6ftd4jJJ/file.html

being a non official skin any changes done are at your own risk and responsability.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 11:52:38 PM by tatsyn »

tatsyn

Re: Custom Icarus skin
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 01:22:18 AM »
update!

Before anything else i should refer that: this is not an official Tone2 release.

Ok, so now i had some more freedom of mind/time to work on the skin i remodeled it and you can preview it in action in this video on youtube

preview: https://youtu.be/q9i6EkxSFKQ

skin download: https://www116.zippyshare.com/v/v6Anhb9X/file.html

being a non official skin any changes done are at your own risk and responsability.

abject39

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 01:48:03 PM »
This is really cool. I didn't know this was even possible. How do you create the skins? I'd make some too if I knew how to edit the skins. I do basic graphic design. Just don't know where the files for the GUI are even stored. Also how do you add/install these for Icarus to use them?

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 07:57:48 AM »
On PC:

Rename a .png file to IcarusSkin.dat and store it in the same directory as the dll.

On Mac:

View the content of Icarus.vst and replace bmp00128.png with another png image.

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 03:51:21 PM »
Hello Toni,

I like the idea of the image on the top left!

Icarus 1.6 is now over half a decade old. Unfortunately I do not longer remember how things worked back in the days. I only can give you info about the current version. So you'll have to use the info that you can find in this forum.
One thing that I think to remember is that changing the skin color and exchanging the background image at the same time does not work for some technical reason.

It is only possible to exchange the background skin with IcarusSkin.dat.

Changing data of the dll file is not a legit option as the dll file is copyrighted material. Apart from this it is quite sure that it will crash the plugin or at least will make everything very instable. 

I hope this helps (a bit),
Markus
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 03:53:31 PM by Markus Krause »

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 09:28:50 AM »
Any content (dll files/images/patches/sound/etc) that comes bundeled with a software is usually copyrighted material. You are not allowed to change and/or distribute it unless you got a written permission of the coypright holder.
Unfortunately I can't give you the permission to distribute or modify the dll file, as it is very likely that the plugin will crash or at least gets occasionally instable. This includes also instructions with 'hacks' to alter the dll file which hurt the license agreement.
We don't want that our support needs to deal with angry users that complain about crashes that result from altering the dll file. Especially since we do not earn any income with the CM versions. 

I recommend that you upgrade to Icarus2.5 / Icarus3. There you are able to create and distribute your own skins easily and legaly.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 09:34:15 AM by Markus Krause »

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 09:46:51 AM »
These products did not come with a magazine that was distributed to 5000 readers. And they work differently from the technical prespective.
Apart from this I assume that also people that to not own a license will download the dll file and will manually place it in the vst plugins directory. This results in a damaged installation as many essential files from the installation are missing. Then they will contact our support and complain why the 'plugin crashes' or why patches and the key are missing.
We are a small company and if something goes wrong (which is really likely) we will have to deal with it to fix it. This time is missing for development and support.
I hope that you can understand that we do not want that a can of worms is opened.

Apart from this I want to point out that skinning was never officially supported for Icarus1. I recommend that you upgrade to Icarus 2/3 as Icarus1.6 is already over half a decade old and will not longer be updated.

Markus
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 10:05:51 AM by Markus Krause »

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 10:53:58 AM »
We also need to cover our runnings costs. We got costs for development, pay our artists and employees, pay the rent, pay for the servers, the website, hardware, our taxes and our families.

You can't save patches and some have a time limit. I do not recommend to install several versions of a product at the same time. Most DAWs can not handle this properly.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 11:00:22 AM by Markus Krause »