You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Applying formant modes to wavetable results in higher harmonic content  (Read 4101 times)

Deepbass

Hi,
I wanted to apply a formant setting from the morph knob to the whole wavetable. When it´s done the resulting wavetable has a much higher harmonic content. It´s the same with formant and formant cross (vocoder and granulator seem also to be affected). Easy to reproduce:
- Init patch
- Move the LFO1 in the osc section all the way up so that the basic waveforms cycle through
- Choose “formant “ or “formant cross” from the morph menu. For example dial in 50%
- Tool menu->”Apply Morph to Wavetable”
- Listen to the new wavetable when playing the same note as before
(Windows 7, Studio One 3.5, 64 Bit, Samplerate 44.1 kHz)

That doesn´t happen with other morph modes (I just checked a few of them)

Best regards
Andreas
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:38:02 PM by Deepbass »

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
Hello Deepbass,

some playmodes like 'formant' or 'vocoder' or the modes with 'key' in the name use keytracking. The keytracking modes can not be rendered to a single wavetable, since the sound does change dynamically and does depend on the current pitch you are playing. You still can perender such a mode, however it sounds different from the original, depending on the current note you are playing.
For previewing and prerendering wavetables you should select one of the static modes like 'harmonic' or 'hollow'.

You can find a more detailed description of the modes in the handbook.

Best Regards,
Markus

Deepbass

Hi Markus,

thanks for the explanation, I didn´t know about the keytracking in some modes. Since I wanted the created sound applied to a wavetable I just bounced a note of one bar in my DAW and resynthesized it back into Icarus and a got the desired wavetable for further modifying that vocal FX.

Best regards,
Andreas

Markus Krause

• Administrator
For the keytracking modes I could introduce a messagebox which notes the user, that it could sound different, if he prerenders it.

Deepbass

A little hint in a messagebox would indeed be helpful.