You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Gladiator 2.6 DLL renaming possibilities? Different sound?  (Read 8269 times)

Caine123

Gladiator 2.6 DLL renaming possibilities? Different sound?
« on: April 18, 2017, 08:10:30 PM »
first, THANKS SO MUCH for still cating for gladiator, i still love this synth and its so unique!

now my first concern, as i have it in MANY projects, i dont want to risk that my projects with gladiator 2 will sound VERY? different when installed v2.6?

so my idea was if thats the case if i shall install the v2.6 alongside v2?

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
Re: Gladiator 2.6 DLL renaming possibilities? Different sound?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:57:09 AM »
Hello Caine,

You don't have to worry about it. It is not necessary to keep the old version, since the new one will work fine with your old projects. Simply install v2.6.

Gladiator 2.6 is downward compatible with the previous version. All existing song projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary. They will benefit from the enhanced sound quality.

In general we take a lot of attention on the downward compatibility of our updates.

Markus

exmatproton

• Ae
    • exm BC
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »
Hello Caine,

You don't have to worry about it. It is not necessary to keep the old version, since the new one will work fine with your old projects. Simply install v2.6.

Gladiator 2.6 is downward compatible with the previous version. All existing song projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary. They will benefit from the enhanced sound quality.

In general we take a lot of attention on the downward compatibility of our updates.

Markus

As i understand it, some people (including me) don't want to have older projects sound different (better, or worse, that's subjective). So, sure, projects will load, but the sound changes, which isn't something i want. So, 2 different DLL's would be great.
Warlock_Icarus_Gladiator2/3_RayBlaster2_Nemesis_Saurus2_Electra2(x)_BiFilter2_Filterbank3_Warmverb

-exm-

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 02:35:38 PM »
I understand that some of you might have had bad experiences (with products from other companies?) in the past. Please note that we are using some special programming tricks to avoid these kind of troubles.
In practise it does mean, that you really don't have to care about downward compatibility at all if you are using a Tone2 product which is younger than 5 years. Compared to v2.5 or v2.4 Gladiator 2.6 does not sound 'different', it simply sounds 'better'. I really recommend the installation of this version instead of the old one. There are no problems known.

If you want to keep the old one for security you can simply rename the dll to somthing like 'gladiator2.5.dll' before you install v2.6.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:37:20 PM by Markus Krause »

Caine123

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 09:04:56 PM »
thanks markus! after the quick fix in the past you did with your team i trust tone2 a lot since then! so im gonna install this new version and will see :). if it somehow doesnt is to my taste i will just re-install an older version and rename the new one, problem fixed.

p.s.:
i dunno if this was reported, on kvr forums there are a lot of replies that the RENAME function is not working for all. i didnt test it yet myself.

p.s.2:
Markus, is Bastiaan not in the team anymore? :(

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:56:43 AM »
 The 'rename patch' function can only work properly if the host supports submitting keypresses to the plugins. That's why it wrote in the patch notes:

"- In the Mac version patches can now be renamed from within the plugin (if the host supports it)"

What does happen if the host does not support it?
No or not all keypresses are submitted to the plugin.
Example: Orion does not submit the space key to the plugin. The 'space' key is assigned as a hotkey in the host for start/stop playback. If you type in 'new name' only 'newname' will be received by the plugin, since the host does submit it to Gladiator.

What can you do to solve the issue?
Please do note that this is not a bug in Gladiator. For technical reasons this problem can not be solved from the plugin's companies site. It does affect also many plugins from other companies.
The problem is a host issue. The host does not forward keyboard input properly to the plugins.
Contact the host's company and request a support for submitting keyboard input to the plugins.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:01:34 AM by Markus Krause »

zvenx

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 02:30:26 PM »
Markus I too am having the rename issue (although for me it is academic as it isn't a function that I have ever used). Cubase 9 running Sierra, however I do have other plugins that allow me to type in them. exponential audio for instance, I can list a few more if necessary.

rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »
I've tested the renaming on PC. It works as expected in all tested hosts:
Orion x32, Orion x64, Ableton, FL Studio x64, Cubase, standalone. Also the 'm' key does work.
In Orion the space key is not submitted to plugins, which is a known host problem.

-------------

Furthermore i've been testing it on the Mac:
It works as expected in all tested hosts which are 32 bit including Ableton and Reaper. Also the 'm' key does work.
It does not work in Logic, since keypresses are not submitted to the plugin.
It does not work in ReaperX64.

Please note, that renaming is a feature that noone has been missing during the last 5 years. For compatibility reasons it was completely deactivated in Gladiator v2.3, v2.4 and v2.5 on the Mac. Only one customer did notice it during this time.
I will take care of this if i find time.

Workarounds:
1) Use your host instead of the plugin to rename the patch
or
2) Save the patch as fxp with the desired name. Then load the patch again.
or
3) Use the 32 bit version

---------

Markus, is Bastiaan not in the team anymore? Sad

Because of serious health reasons Bastiaan had to quit to work. Sadly his situation still has not improved. We currently don't know if he will recover.   :(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:52:02 PM by Markus Krause »

zvenx

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 09:20:26 PM »
So Sad about Bastiaan, he was for years my connection with tone2...and even before this new Markus, you know the old Markus, the snappy short tempered one :-) (I like Markus v2 for the record), Bastiaan was always the quiet even keel.
I miss him already.
:(
rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Caine123

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »
I've tested the renaming on PC. It works as expected in all tested hosts:
Orion x32, Orion x64, Ableton, FL Studio x64, Cubase, standalone. Also the 'm' key does work.
In Orion the space key is not submitted to plugins, which is a known host problem.

-------------

Furthermore i've been testing it on the Mac:
It works as expected in all tested hosts which are 32 bit including Ableton and Reaper. Also the 'm' key does work.
It does not work in Logic, since keypresses are not submitted to the plugin.
It does not work in ReaperX64.

Please note, that renaming is a feature that noone has been missing during the last 5 years. For compatibility reasons it was completely deactivated in Gladiator v2.3, v2.4 and v2.5 on the Mac. Only one customer did notice it during this time.
I will take care of this if i find time.

Workarounds:
1) Use your host instead of the plugin to rename the patch
or
2) Save the patch as fxp with the desired name. Then load the patch again.
or
3) Use the 32 bit version

---------

Markus, is Bastiaan not in the team anymore? Sad

Because of serious health reasons Bastiaan had to quit to work. Sadly his situation still has not improved. We currently don't know if he will recover.   :(

thanks a lot Markus for the great support!
and also please let Bastiaan know that we appreciate his passion so much and great mails i had with him, also that we give him strength :)!!!! sad about this very much, but he is a strong man! Come on Bastiaan! !!

SHenshaw

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 02:03:39 AM »
I too miss Bastiaan, as he was my "go-to" guy at Tone 2 for quite some time. Please tell him people miss him and we hope he feels better soon!

As far as Gladiator 2.6, I have had no problems renaming patches, and no problems with the LFO update being "sluggish", as some have mentioned on KVR.

I'm using SONAR Platinum and SONAR X3e, both 64-bit. I'll also try to reproduce these issues in FL Studio and Bitwig soon. I've already posted my findings on the KVR forum, to try to keep the crowd from getting ugly.  ;)

Steve
Intel i5-based, Windows 7 (64-bit) OS; Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum, FL Studio, Reaper