You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Icarus feature requests  (Read 131705 times)

El Bura

• Email
Re: Icarus feature requests
« Reply #225 on: October 23, 2020, 02:29:14 PM »
Hey, something that really seems to be missing from Icarus and ElectraX is browser functionality, would love to see:
1. Search box to search for presets.
2. The ability to scroll through the browser using the arrow keys on keyboard.
3. Preset tagging/colour coding to group presets.

Are these things that are on the roadmap?
Cheers

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
« Reply #226 on: October 26, 2020, 08:24:23 AM »
The arrow keys on the keyboard are supported for the PC version (if the host supports it). On Mac it works with the VST version in many hosts.

El Bura

• Email
« Reply #227 on: October 26, 2020, 04:09:57 PM »
hhhmmm ok, the arrow keys don't seem to be working in Ableton Live 10.1.25 on Mac 10.15.7.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 04:13:13 PM by El Bura »

tatsyn

« Reply #228 on: October 27, 2020, 10:27:18 AM »
Here's a "small" list of features i'd like to see in Icarus....

1 - Add as modulation destination Drum and Glitch sections parameters (at least some of them)
ex: Drum - Speed, Drum Volume, decay, etc,etc
      Glitch - Glitch Mix, rate, etc, etc
These in the ways it most makes sense as a priority

2 - Similar to 1st one.... Add as Modulation destination MSEG's rate (Sync'ed and Unsync'ed) and (if possible) to be able to mangle loop points with modulators

extra - Also be able to modulate LFO's and Envelopes Shape (although we already have MSEG's!!!!!! ;) :))
 + the new waveshaping modes added in Electra2 in the filters and already mentioned in another post, quality of life FX swapping/copy-paste/......

I'm sure Markus also has his own new ideas and other requests/sugestions too so......

Lights

• Email
« Reply #229 on: December 02, 2020, 08:52:09 PM »
As many have said previously I am absolutely fascinated by this synth.After I got Icarus, I spent around 4 to 5 hours a day for the next 5 weeks playing with it and completely ignoring all  other plugins. I literally had to cut down on using it because it was becoming a mini addiction.    ;D

Now these long hours have resulted in quite a long list of feature requests and feedback, so here we go:

When hiding / showing the plugin interface, it defaults to displaying the arpeggiator. I’d like it to remember the view it was on last,  E.g. Mod Matrix or Effects etc.

I would like to see the Shape knob on the Envelopes affect the Attack curve just as it does the Decay and Release.

Preset Specific :

- Like others have mentioned, a search option in the browser would be very useful.
Also the ability to click a tag and view a list of presets by author, sound category etc.

- Ability to Rename Presets. (through right click or double click.)

- A Refresh button in the browser to re-read the patch file structure without quitting & restarting the plugin. This would be especially useful for saving & re-saving new patch presets that has been just created within the same instance or another instance of the plugin (without having to offload then reload the plugin).

- Ability to save Presets for Modulation Matrix status, - can be helpful to recall recurring / commonly used setting  such as Key to Volume or Velocity to Filter envelop OR to copy settings from one preset to another.

Fix some display update issues :

- Envelopes don’t update at all when controlled via midi, but can also fail to update when double clicking knobs to snap back to default value.

- Effect parameters don’t always light up or dim when effect is enabled / disabled, until mouse pointer hovers over them. This occurs more frequently when all three effect slots are used.

- Oscillators 2 & 3 displays also sometimes don’t show the waveform when switching from one patch to the other, until you click on their screen area.

ARP Specific :

- Set Arp velocity by sweeping.
Right now, each velocity step can be set individually but velocity rises and falls  have to be set step by step. For smooth sweeps it would be nice to drag across the steps and have the velocity sweep smoothly.

- Having velocity steps displaying for all 32 arp steps, whether a note is present on that step or not, makes it difficult to view the velocity pattern. It would be good to  hide or dim the velocity marker  if no note is programmed to play in that step.

- Arp latch or hold option. Not sure if that is already present but I might have missed it ?!

- Arp feature “rotate one step”  and “shift notes up/down” are very useful  but having to go through a menu to do this, can be very tedious, especially if you need to do it 4, 6, 8 rotations etc. Suggest horizontal and vertical scroll bars that can be easily dragged instead ??

Keyboard shortcuts.

I understand this could be complicated because of possible conflict with DAW keyboard shortcuts. However, there are a lot of menu options in Icarus and keyboard shortcuts would do wonders for workflow. Preset change with Control+right & left arrows for example, or Quick save Patch with Shift +S etc.

Finally  ;)

Hide or remove floating tooltips and show their information on the preset screen underneath preset name (as in Saurus). This would make it far easier to consistently see the info in one place. It would also solve the problem of the data values often being hidden underneath the mouse pointer or in my case of poor eyesight, allow the use of a larger font to display the parameter value.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 08:57:20 PM by Lights »

davew1

« Reply #230 on: January 06, 2021, 09:07:02 AM »
The checkmark noting which preset you've selected doesn't remain after navigating away from the arp, drum, glitch, and MSEG modules. Sometimes after a bit of editing, I want to go back and reselect a preset to begin working with it from scratch again, but can't remember which one I selected. Thanks!

davew1

« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2021, 11:23:01 PM »
**Edit: I realized in playing with the glitch sequencer a bit more that the off/on buttons for each effect can be modulated. That helps to create variation alongside modulating the speed and steps parameters. So the below is a pretty low priority request. Thanks for listening.**

I haven't had as much time to play with Icarus lately, but came up with another suggestion after using it for a while recently:

I've always appreciated how many of Icarus' parameters respond to DAW automation. This is especially true with Icarus' powerful arpeggiator, where you can modulate the settings of individual pattern steps to create dynamic and evolving sequences.

If more of the glitch module's parameters could be DAW-automated, it would allow for generation of even more dynamic and evolving sequences. An example would be modulating the repeat amount of beat 3 and the pitch shift amount of beat 5 with a DAW LFO so they differ with each pass. While many of the individual grid cells' parameters show up in Bitwig and Cubase, Icarus doesn't respond to automation of them.

I could say similar things about the effects module (especially mix amounts) and the drum module (for example, being able to modulate the decay and panning of an open hi-hat). Those aren't as high a priority for me because I currently use external plugins when I need more automation. But that could change if these modules become more automation-responsive in the future.

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:32:43 AM by davew1 »

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2021, 09:28:41 AM »
Thank you for your feedback!

functionform

• Email
« Reply #233 on: April 04, 2021, 08:29:05 PM »
Hello Markus thanks for the great synth!  I believe this one should be an easy one, and I think a lot of people could benefit.

Title: Normalize Each Wave In Wavetable

Appearance:
   Under the Wavetable editor menu, Under Mix a new option should appear titled Maximize Volume by wave

Behavior:
   Upon selection, any waveform in the wavetable will be independently normalized to 0.
   For example, a resynthesized kick should now exhibit no "decay" in the visual represenation of the wavetable.

Benefits:
  Currently, for samples being resynthesized with decay, it is an arduous process to keep clicking Maximize volume over and over until all the wave forms have been normalized in the wavetable.  My current workaround is to export to wave, load into Dune 3 (or Serum) and Normalize (for Dune3) or Normalize Each (for Serum).

While this is not a "musical" normalization it does spark creativity for me since now I have all sorts of interesting waveforms to play with in my wavetable which can be used in to create growls or brash textures etc.

It would also really improve my workflow since I don't have to load another synth to play with a wavetable.   If you would like an example file that demonstrates the export described, please feel free to ping me, as I don't see a way to attach a file here.

Thanks for your consideration!

Current Workarounds within Icarus:
  Clicking Maximize volume forever

functionform

• Email
« Reply #234 on: April 04, 2021, 08:58:30 PM »
Another quick one, is it possible for Icarus to remember last saved directory for the File dialog popup?  When I'm resynthesizing a lot, I have to keep navigating my subdirectory list to place my wavetables where I want them.  Thank you!

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: April 06, 2021, 09:15:53 AM »
You feature-requests are valueable. Chances are good that they will be implemented in the next update.

Happy Easter,
Markus

Yukihiro

• Email
« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »
Hello
I have one wish about the manual.

English is not my first language.
Nowadays, automatic translation is available in web browsers,
so if the manual can be read in a web browser, I can understand it quickly.

Warlock's manual can be read in a web browser, which is very helpful for me.
I hope you will do the same for Icarus2.

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: May 07, 2021, 05:18:53 PM »
Hello Yukihiro,

it is possible to do an automatic translation also with pdf files:

https://translate.google.com/?hl=en&sl=en&tl=ja&op=translate

Then select Icarus2.pdf as source file. You can find it within the Icarus_data directory.

Have a nice weekend,
Markus

Yukihiro

• Email
« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2021, 04:34:37 AM »
Thank you for your quick comments.
I just tried it, and I see that it is possible to translate a file with a size of 5 Mbytes.
 I didn't know that. Thank you very much for your valuable information.
Unfortunately, I can't see the figures and tables, but I can almost understand the text.

Sameer

• Email
« Reply #239 on: May 14, 2021, 11:28:12 AM »
Hi ,
It has been an immense pleasure using the Icarus 2 and being part of the tone2 community\family. While really enjoying creating sounds on the tone2 i had a few wishlist features , i thought of putting them here, apologies if they have already been addressed.

1.The ability to save STEP LFO presets
2.Scalable Step LFO window .
3.Possibility to tweak Attack and Decay stages between linear to beizer \parabolic for Envelopes
4.More MSEGs please !! 😊
5.The drive and volume Knobs in the filters are inverted though this is not a show stopper but sometimes one just ends up cranking up the wrong knob due to inverted placement.
6.Speed dials seem to follow the reverse law. Universally most synth use the Time divisions from a bar standpoint while Icarus honors the speed division factor so where in other syths ½>1/4>1/16   means the speed will go faster , in Icarus it slows down. Again this Is not a show stopper but requires reverse mental math for lower IQ peeps like me .
7.It would be great to see Ratchet in the arp section (though this can be managed with the glitch engine)  and if possible to record midi notes and use like a phrase.

Best
Sameer.