You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Icarus feature requests  (Read 131688 times)

Mark Mosher

• Mark Mosher Music
Re: Icarus feature requests
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 12:29:05 AM »
Another thing: i would like to have auto tab selection disabled. I had multiple situations where i was editing the wrong lfo/osc due to this auto tabbing.

I like the autotab - but to your point - it would be nice to toggle that. I think autotab would be less confusing if it was more obvious which tab was in focus (see my earlier comments on this).

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
Various feature requests done by several users in different places:

- Would be cool if you were able to show modulation amounts visually around knobs

- Rightclick opens a dropdown menu on knobs to assign a mod source

- Multistage envelope/Lfo

- Skin with 2D perspective: Might look better if the knobs were rendered from straight down perspective. i.e. the GUI is flat but the knobs look like you are viewing them from beneath.

- Skin with black text, meaning black text on light background.

- Stereo width control (maybe as an insert FX)

Mark Mosher

• Mark Mosher Music
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »
If you take a look at the GUI you can see that the Parameters Env, Key, Vel and LFO3 are connected to the cutoff. The drive knob is connected to the distortion type parameter. This makes it necessary to place the reso knob left to the cutoff control.
This makes sense now that I take a closer look. I almost missed the dark "channel" lines in the GUI and I mistook the top row "Vel" for overall velocity for the filter and was wondering why there were two "Vel". You may want do heighten the contrast a bit between that channel great and the foreground grey. Also, you might want to change that label to "E-Vel" or something.

Yul Yolo

• Sound Designer
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 03:22:01 PM »
THE Famous: M shape Filter
& in the matrix as destination: lfo shape
cheers

exmatproton

• Ae
    • exm BC
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
Would be fun to have a color editor, where we can set our own colors :)

On a more serious note;

More clk speeds to shoose from on the mod's. At this point it is really not on par with many other synths.
No dotted speeds, no tripplets below 3/4...kinda scarse, if you ask me.
=-=-=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=-=-=
My niggles/requests a.t.m listed:

* I really miss a coarse (pitch) knob at the OSC's.
* I would love to see filter panning.
* i would like to have auto tab selection disabled. Or an option to turn it off.
* skin with 2D perspective would be way better IMHO.
* stereo width control for the multi OSC's per OSC.
* More clk speeds to shoose from on the mod's. At this point it is really not on par with many other synths.
No dotted speeds, no tripplets below 3/4.
* all the colour schemes are a bit off of what i would like to see. Would be fun to be able to custom colorcode the synth.
* OSC to OSC modulation possibilities.
* Free running/fixed (BPM/Song) LFO settings at the LFO level. The settings page with hard/soft/free settings, are a major pain in the a** if you ask me.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:12:16 PM by exmatproton »
Warlock_Icarus_Gladiator2/3_RayBlaster2_Nemesis_Saurus2_Electra2(x)_BiFilter2_Filterbank3_Warmverb

-exm-

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 10:55:16 AM »
Hello exmatproton and kokette,

thanks for the feedback. Some of the stuff might be in for v1.1.

I really miss a coarse (pitch) knob at the OSC's

It's already included to all Tone2 synths (except Firebird). Select const as matrix source. Select pitch as matrix target.
The same is for semi, interval, pitch XL.

If you want to build stacked sounds:
- Please do also note that the hypermode also allows to set 'interval', 'chord' and 'stack'.
- There are also morph modes 'interval', 'stack' and 'chord'.
- The arp can also be used to play chords. Click on Tool->'Stack Chord'

I would love to see filter panning.

Beside of Pan for the single OSCs there is a second pan knob in the FX section and Autopan as insert FX.

Free running/fixed (BPM/Song) LFO settings at the LFO level

Please note that I already answered to this to you in another post: In 99% of the cases 'mono with softsync' already covers this.
We used the classic kind of design that you requested in Electra. Even our professional(!) sounddesigners and many customers had trouble with this, because thy did not really understand the difference between a free runing LFO and a triggered one -  especially when they wanted to build patches, which use the Arp and the LFOs. As a result they complained about 'the arp/Lfo/trancegate running out of sync' and delivered many badly designed patches that i had to fix.
The global sync setting that we use in Icarus/Nemesis is much more easy to use. During the last two years we received no complains about this architecture.

OSC to OSC modulation possibilities.

I designed the engine in a way that this is possible. It might be in for v1.1. What comes to my mind would be 'FM' (this is no true FM, but technically phase modulation) and AM.

THE Famous: M shape Filter

I am surprised that this filter is so popular. It might be in for v1.1. In the meanwhile you can use 'BP boobs', which is similar. Or you can use highpass/lowpass with 50% resonance routed in series for filter 1/2.

in the matrix as destination: lfo shape

Might be in for v1.1

Best Regards,
Markus
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:00:50 AM by Markus Krause »

exmatproton

• Ae
    • exm BC
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 03:12:16 PM »
I really miss a coarse (pitch) knob at the OSC's

It's already included to all Tone2 synths (except Firebird). Select const as matrix source. Select pitch as matrix target.
The same is for semi, interval, pitch XL.

If you want to build stacked sounds:
- Please do also note that the hypermode also allows to set 'interval', 'chord' and 'stack'.
- There are also morph modes 'interval', 'stack' and 'chord'.
- The arp can also be used to play chords. Click on Tool->'Stack Chord'

That is really weird. I am aware of the workaround for this. But it is weird to have to use the matrix only to coarse pitch osc's. It is the main part of osc's in almost all other synths out there. Weird stuff

I would love to see filter panning.

Beside of Pan for the single OSCs there is a second pan knob in the FX section and Autopan as insert FX.

But that won't make the filter section more flexible. Panning filters is awesome. Now, if you don't want to add this, just say you don't want to add it. But all the workarounds you give have nothing to do with panning filters ...  ;)

Free running/fixed (BPM/Song) LFO settings at the LFO level

Please note that I already answered to this to you in another post: In 99% of the cases 'mono with softsync' already covers this.
We used the classic kind of design that you requested in Electra. Even our professional(!) sounddesigners and many customers had trouble with this, because thy did not really understand the difference between a free runing LFO and a triggered one -  especially when they wanted to build patches, which use the Arp and the LFOs. As a result they complained about 'the arp/Lfo/trancegate running out of sync' and delivered many badly designed patches that i had to fix.
The global sync setting that we use in Icarus/Nemesis is much more easy to use. During the last two years we received no complains about this architecture.

In that case you have some weird "pro.." sound designers. Again, almost every other synth i know have this setting at the LFO section/level. And it seems perfectly logical to have it there. But hey, that's just me.

I designed the engine in a way that this is possible. It might be in for v1.1. What comes to my mind would be 'FM' (this is no true FM, but technically phase modulation) and AM.

That would be awesome! Indeed, some nice PM and AM possibilities on this (already great) Icarus synth would be awesome!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:19:41 PM by exmatproton »
Warlock_Icarus_Gladiator2/3_RayBlaster2_Nemesis_Saurus2_Electra2(x)_BiFilter2_Filterbank3_Warmverb

-exm-

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 11:52:54 AM »
A request from myself:
Text to speech synthesis

Stralner

• Email
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 01:25:13 PM »
Hey Markus,

Uhh I love Icarus, it is my go to synth already  Cool

But I have some ideas though for the use and workflow:

1. Midi assignment to the matrix, is that possible?
2. Multi Midi assignment for one knob/slider (Cutoff and Reso f.eks. on one slider at the same time)
3. A fullscreen GUI option....pleace Lips Sealed
4. When you drag a wave file to the Osc section, could we have the resyntesis options appear?
5. More filter options Tongue

Keep on the god work Markus Cool
KMS Musik Costummade sound design

Dumbo

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 06:02:43 PM »
A request from myself:
Text to speech synthesis

Oh YES!!!, TTS would be really great!
Cheers

Stralner

• Email
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 02:00:45 AM »
Hey,

I just stroke me that there is a limit to how many arp. patches you can save...56 pz. in the list. That is spend up already ???

So I realy hope that you can make this number a bit higher  :'(

Also the FX section, I would love to see 2 more slots. 3 is a little thight  :angel:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:09:57 AM by Stralner »

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 09:36:42 AM »
Hello Stralner

I just stroke me that there is a limit to how many arp. patches you can save...56 pz. in the list. That is spend up already Huh?

The number of arp patches that you can save or load is not limited. The quick access list allows to display up to 256 arp templates.

Also the FX section, I would love to see 2 more slots. 3 is a little thight

Please do also note these additonal effects, which are available additional to the 3 modular slots:
- EQ and Limiter (on the bottom right)
- Feedback (this is an additonal delay effect)
- Voice effects within the filter section (Bitcrusher, downsampling, distortion, waveshaping, ringmod, FM...)
- Morph modes in the osc section (FM, Ringmod, AM, Filtering, FM, Granulator)

Requests (posted in various places):

- Semi knob
- An easy way to crossblend-loop wavetables with the resynthesis button

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 09:45:07 AM by Markus Krause »

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 10:28:06 AM »
Requested by email:

Scrollbar for the spectral editor

Stralner

• Email
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »

About the fx section:

I know of the features but if you thing of common synths you have Comp,eq,Phaser,distortion,Chorus and reverb/delay. Normaly 4-5 in a chain.

Lets say I wanna make a chain with delay,reverb, distortion and compression!

1.How would you do that in Icarus?
2.The limiter is not a compressor...right?

Felingen

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »

Probably the only feature I've been thinking of for v1.1 ;) FM/PM between oscillators would be sooooo awesome!