You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Public Beta 1 (deprecated)  (Read 17325 times)

zvenx

Re: Public Beta
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 08:55:39 PM »
Unashamedly a mostly preset user.
I have gone thru most of the presets and I can honestly say this is my favourite sounding Tone2 synth........
Well done.
Still wish the GUI was done elsewhere, but.......... the sounds I love..
rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Yul Yolo

• Sound Designer
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »
the problem is here in FL studio x32, with your setting.
now, i make my icarus"test"in reaper.
if you modulate the volume of an osc with an lfo or a sine(in the mattrix) ,eg,a sine played at F0, you can ears some high frequency,no clipping, and if you compress a lot your sound in post processing, with OTT or another hard multiband compressor, all this artifact freq are very audible.
an other thing, the "noisefloor" is a direct current,with a hp at 10hz, the "noisefloor" is not here anymore.
here 2 files for explain the "artifact" with the volume modulation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmr63jnxeobtpkm/LFO%20vol%20sine2%208%20hz.fxp?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccu8s78hmbv1emf/Icarus%20sine%20lfo%20vol2%208%20hz.wav?dl=0
Best.

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »
the problem is here in FL studio x32, with your setting.
now, i make my icarus"test"in reaper.
if you modulate the volume of an osc with an lfo or a sine(in the mattrix) ,eg,a sine played at F0, you can ears some high frequency,no clipping, and if you compress a lot your sound in post processing, with OTT or another hard multiband compressor, all this artifact freq are very audible.
an other thing, the "noisefloor" is a direct current,with a hp at 10hz, the "noisefloor" is not here anymore.
here 2 files for explain the "artifact" with the volume modulation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmr63jnxeobtpkm/LFO%20vol%20sine2%208%20hz.fxp?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccu8s78hmbv1emf/Icarus%20sine%20lfo%20vol2%208%20hz.wav?dl=0
Best.

For performance reasons the volume of the single oscs is not interpolated. The artefacts are inaudible with most waveforms except very dark ones. Doing extreme compression is lo-fi anyway. You should not do this in a mix.
Instead of this you should route the modulation to volume. Here there is a linear ramp.

The 'noisefloor' is no bug. A very small DC offset prevents Icarus and other effects plugins which are inserted after Icarus to cause denormals. This way the CPU load is reduced.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:58:12 PM by Markus Krause »

dthree

• Email
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 10:56:03 PM »
If I set Arp/LFO to free, then LFO1 TO Beat, LFO2 to ENV, and leave LFO3 without Beat/ENV/Mono...I would expect LFO3 to be free running. It generally seems to be, but when playing notes I find LFO3 seems to randomly retrigger. This is from the init patch.

Is this a bug?

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 09:57:03 AM »
Icarus can run the lfos in polyphonic (per voice) and monophonic (global for all voices) modes. The mono button defines this. Per default the lfos and the arp run in softsync mode. If you activate mono the lfo will only retrigger when no voices have been playing before. Otherwise it works like a freerunning lfo.

When i did sounddesign i usually used 'softsync with mono' for filtersweeps. It is a hybrid mode which combines the advantages of a retriggered lfo and a freerunning lfo. Here you achive similar results like with a free running lfo, however with the advantage, that you can define with phase where the lfo starts playing when you press the first key on the keyboard.
This way you can also make a voices sync with the wavetable position. I used this kind of setup in many vocoder patches.

---------------
I checked it out and it worked as expected (at least here). Maybe you didn't set key tracking and fade to to 0.

Setting an Lfo for free running:

1) Setup ->Arp/Lfo Free
2) In the Lfo: Mono, no Env, key to 0, fadein to 0

For this purpose there are also 16 additional Lfos in the matrix. They are always free running, no matter what settings you do in setup. Select 'Sine X Hz' as matrix source.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:08:40 AM by Markus Krause »

dthree

• Email
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 10:22:13 AM »
Thanks for the details on LFOs...will check out those tips  :)

Markus Krause

• Administrator
Re: Public Beta 1
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 12:48:38 PM »
Beta1 is deprecated now. Thanks a lot for your reports. I've gone through all points and made fixes and enhancements.

There is the update (beta2)
http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?topic=2402.0