You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: LFO Phase between 0 and 20  (Read 6723 times)

Kickflip

• Email
LFO Phase between 0 and 20
« on: April 24, 2015, 07:04:24 PM »
Hi there, just been working on a patch which uses the LFO mapped to the FM1 control, and I'm trying to fine tune the rhythm of the note start. At the moment I can't seem to choose an LFO phase between 0 and 20, as it goes straight onto 'Free & Global'. Occasionally I've been able to select 18/19, but it's not consistent.

Not sure if it counts as a bug, feature request, or user error at this point :)

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
Re: LFO Phase between 0 and 20
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 12:27:26 PM »
Hello Kickflip,

If you set the LFO phase to a low value it will run in free more. This is usefull for some sounds, especially in polyphonic more.

Solution1: If you press shift while you click and move your mouse you can finetune the knobs for a more precise setting.

Solution2: In the mod matrix do not use a postive, but a negative send level of the LFO to FM1. Then set the lfo phase to 180 to 200 instead of 0 to 20. Since the LFO shape is symmetrical it will result in the desired sound.

Best Regards,
Markus

Kickflip

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:53:14 PM »
Hi Markus, thanks for your reply!

Yeah, free running LFOs definitely have their place in sound design :-)

Unfortunately the LFO phase I need for this particular noise rests somewhere between 0 and 18  :laugh:

For this project I'll work around it by bouncing the noise and chopping/fading/moving to taste, but would it be possible to tweak the control in a future update? The free phase at the low end of the knob is a great way of accessing the feature, but I'd still like to be able to use those lower phase values.

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »
If i would do a change here some sounds from the next update could sound different. It would not be 100% downward compatible and people would complain about it.

But it's also possible to build your desired sound this way:

In Nemesis you can also also use the ARP as a step LFO which retriggers on NoteOn. Here you can build a custom LFO by using the vertical bars. Then route 'Arp StepLFO' as matrix source to FM as target in the matrix.

Kickflip

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 04:31:44 PM »
In the end I added 180 to the phase knob and inverted the LFO's assignment in the Matrix, then tweaked the phase to taste.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the last to come to mind!

Kickflip

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 05:31:16 PM »
D'oh... somehow I missed that you'd posted inverting the phase as the second solution in your first reply!

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »
 ;D

In our synths there is a lot of stuff possible with the matrix. It's really worth the effort to dig deeper there.