You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Retaining Ableton Live Configure Mode Parameter MIDI Mappings  (Read 3234 times)

apetosa

• Email
Retaining Ableton Live Configure Mode Parameter MIDI Mappings
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:58:32 PM »
I posted this in Ableton's forum first. However, I decided to post here as well in the hope that the collective experience of the membership will result in a solution. Note, the scenario posed below involves both Ableton Live and Lemur for iPad.

I view this to be an Ableton Live problem. This post is not to suggest this is a Tone2 problem.

Goal:
Retain a custom Lemur for iPad template's MIDI CC mappings to Configure Mode parameters for some VST/AU plug-in within a saved Instrument Rack.

Problem:
The Configure Mode parameters are retained across the saved <VST/AU plug-in>.adg group file (Instrument Rack), but the the MIDI CC mappings to the Configure Mode parameters are lost.

Steps Taken:
In Live
    1. Placed a VST/AU plug-in onto a Live Track. In this example, I added a Tone2 Electra2 VST instance to a Live MIDI Track.
    2. Grouped the VST instance to form a Live Instrument Rack.
    3. Within the Instrument Rack, clicked  'Unfold Device Parameters' to reveal Configure Mode.
    4. Clicked 'Plug-In Edit' to reveal Electra2 in its own window.
    5. Clicked 'Configure' ('Configure' box acquires a green background) to enable parameters to be added from Electra2.
    6. Clicked in turn 'VOLUME', 'MODWHEEL', 'LOW', 'MID', and 'HIGH' virtual knobs in the Electra2 display. Each Electra2 parameter in turn was added to the Configure Mode area. See
https://tone2.com/html/multilayer.html for a visualization of the Electra2 GUI.
7. At this point I saved the Instrument Rack as 'Electra2.adg'.
[/list]

In the Custom Lemur for iPad Template
    1. Recreated a similar GUI layout for the Electra2 in Lemur, initially focusing only upon the Electra2's 'VOLUME', 'MODWHEEL', etc., parameters.
    2. With the 'Electra2.adg' Instrument Rack in MIDI Map Mode, in turn I selected each Electra2 parameter shown in Configure Mode and touched the corresponding parameter in the Electra2 Lemur template. For example, I clicked the blue-shaded 'VOLUME' parameter in Configure Mode and then touched the virtual 'VOLUME' knob in the Lemur template.
    3. As each mapping was completed, the blue-shaded Electra2 parameter in Configure Mode updated to reveal the MIDI channel and MIDI CC controller number associated with the virtual Electra2 Lemur template knobs. For example, the blue-shaded 'VOLUME' parameter displayed '1/0' (MIDI Channel 01/MIDI CC #01) after the MIDI map was executed.

Upon completing the MIDI CC mappings, I (re)saved the 'Electra2.adg' Instrument Rack. At this point there existed an 'Electra2.adg' Instrument Rack with its current open instance properly MIDI mapped to my custom Electra2 Lemur template.

Unfortunately, it seems that Ableton Live 9 Suite, Version 9.1.7 (64-bit for Mac OS X) is unable to retain the MIDI CC mappings that I created for the Electra2 Configure Mode parameters. When I remove the Instrument Rack from the Live MIDI Track and reopen it, the MIDI mappings are no longer there. The Configure Mode parameters remain.

I hope I missed a crucial step and that this is not an Ableton Live limitation.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.