You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: How to start for Analogue Sounds? FM or not  (Read 5702 times)

Caine123

How to start for Analogue Sounds? FM or not
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:15:08 AM »
i didnt understand the layout of Nemesis yet fully, as it's not the typical layout of synths i think. but maybe with your help i can understand it better :).

how do i need to set Nemesis to get some analogue sounding sounds like DX7 (i know cause of Ingo that DX7 was not real FM)?

and how to set it if i want to do some moog'ish, other VA synth sounds? (i normally use Diva for it, but just trying and combinating with fm etc. would be interesting :D)

thanks a lot!

exmatproton

• Ae
    • exm BC
    • Email
Re: How to start for Analogue Sounds? FM or not
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »
i didnt understand the layout of Nemesis yet fully, as it's not the typical layout of synths i think. but maybe with your help i can understand it better :).

how do i need to set Nemesis to get some analogue sounding sounds like DX7 (i know cause of Ingo that DX7 was not real FM)?

and how to set it if i want to do some moog'ish, other VA synth sounds? (i normally use Diva for it, but just trying and combinating with fm etc. would be interesting :D)

thanks a lot!

*A good starting point would be selecting a SAW for all the carriers and mods.
*You can select the PWM FM method on both OSC sections, but only 1 will do the trick as well
*Use the drift knob, not so much the detune
*try to get rid of the tones above let's say 12000Hz (there's a EQ in the CFG section)
*set FILTER C around 30 or 40 % with the ENV2 a bit open, to get that snappy attack

And from there on........play with all the knobs!!!!! ENJOY -exm-
Warlock_Icarus_Gladiator2/3_RayBlaster2_Nemesis_Saurus2_Electra2(x)_BiFilter2_Filterbank3_Warmverb

-exm-

exmatproton

• Ae
    • exm BC
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »
Btw,

for some extra vintage sound, you could use noise as a mod to the Filter, the FM knob and the fine pitch. This is something that should be applied carefully, as it tends to get really nasty when you apply too much of this...

good luck
Warlock_Icarus_Gladiator2/3_RayBlaster2_Nemesis_Saurus2_Electra2(x)_BiFilter2_Filterbank3_Warmverb

-exm-

exmatproton

• Ae
    • exm BC
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »
i've made a little analogue like preset

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22237566/test%20Analogue%201.fxp

maybe this is something you like?

-exm-

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
    • Tone2.com audiosoftware
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 09:58:24 AM »
Hello Caine,

The DX7 was a purely digital synth. It used phase modulation and the YM chipset.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_DX7

Nemesis can to phase modulation as well frequency modulation.

To initialize a DX7 patch go to the patch category "Templates" and select "DX7KeysTempl" (This one uses the synthesis method "FM/PM Vintage DX" which is an emulation of the old YM chipsets). Then click on the waveform and select "Additive Spectral editor". Now you an edit the sine partials with your mouse by clicking on them. The approach to program these patches is a little different than from the DX, however once you got used to it is much more easy and efficient to handle.

The patch category "Vintage" does include further DX-style patches.
The "Classic FM" soundset does also focus on DX sounds.

To mimic an analog filter set the synthesis mode to "Reso hard" and use a sine wave as waveform. Now you can use the NEO FM knob to change the cutoff. An example patch can be found in "Templates->ResoHardTempl". Further interesting examples are "Vintage->Bass Analog" and "Vintage->Brass Analog".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:00:01 AM by Markus Krause »