You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Gladiator 2.6 question  (Read 3745 times)

Dumbo

Gladiator 2.6 question
« on: February 02, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »
Hello,

I just did myself a favour and bought me a copy of Gladiator expanded 2.6. The sonic capabilities are really great and I like to discover new sounds with the random function. But I've got one problem with the vst: I have 2 Computers, one newer laptop with win 8.1 and an older PC with Win XP SP2. The old Win XP machine is my audio workstation and one thing I love about the Tone 2 vsts is, that they run very smooth even on this elderly machine. When I open Gladiator in Acid Pro 6, it takes AGES till the GUI comes up the first time. When I open a project with e.g. 2 Instances Gladiator, the project runs instantaneous but when I open the vst (Gladiator) it takes almost a minute. It is only the first time in a session but with every instance it is the same. On the new machine with acid pro 7 it is faster, but still takes much longer than any other plugin. When in standalone or in reaper, I don't have this problem. It sounds like it is a Acid Pro problem, but since I own almost all other Tone 2 synths, this is the first time I encounter such a problem. Does anyone know about this problem or have any advice? :'(

P.S.
And by the way: I think Gladiator is a really capable and interesting synth. It sounds different and I think it might be a good idea to "update" it to the standard of newer Tone 2 Plugins (especially file handling / browser and a bigger UI option for high resolution screens)

P.P.S.
And please add the missing notes (13/14/15) in the ARP in an upcoming update   ;)

Cheers

Dumbo

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
Re: Gladiator 2.6 question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 05:30:58 PM »
Hello Dumbo,

when you run Gladitor for the first time on a new machine it will create cache files. The purpose of these cache files is to enhance the sound quality and to speed up loading drastically. These files are called for example 000NoiseWhite.1 and are located in the Gladiator2_data directory.
If you have enabled a write protection for the vst plugins directory these cache files can'te be written and the plugin will have to recalulate them every time you load the plugin.

Solution 1: Remove the write protection

Solution 2: Reinstall Gladiator and overwrite the old installation

Have a nice weekend,
Markus

Dumbo

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 01:13:53 AM »
Hello Markus,

thank you for your fast response!
Unfortunately neither nor did help.
Solution 1: Under windows by default, you can't remove the write protection. You can uncheck the mark, but it comes back every time. Anyway, the files are there and the standalone version loads pretty fast. I tried a reinstall twice (Solution 2) but that didn't change anything either. I don't know, I think it is a problem with Acid Pro, since I don't have this problem with Reaper, where Gladiator opens instantaneously.

Thanks for the answer, win xp and Acid pro 6 are really old anyway, it was just nice to have the other Tone2 synths run fine even on such an old system...

Cheers

Dumbo

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 11:32:26 AM »
Hello Dumbo,

you are right. Most likely the problem is caused by Acid pro 6. It was released in 2006 and is now 12 years old.
To run properly Gladiator2 requires a vst 2.4 compatible host which has multicore CPU support.

Best Regards,
Markus