You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: questions  (Read 7400 times)

AnalogSignal

questions
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:34:58 AM »
Hi,

I just upgraded to Gladiator 2 and am getting back into programming it.  I have a couple of questions:

1. I wanted to slowly sweep the Start position of a morph table completely independently of notes played. I found I could do this by using MorphMode Static and modulating the Start position with global LFO 3.  Is there an easier way to do this?

2. I have a Waldorf Q and would like to know if there is a fundamental difference between sweeping a Waldorf Wave table and sweeping a Gladiator morph table. I know Gladiator has tons of modifiers and additional features that Waldorf doesn't have, but ignoring that, are morph tables more advanced than wave tables?

Thanks,
Mike F

Bastiaan van Noord

• Administrator
    • Tone2 Audiosoftware
    • Email
Re: questions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:46:54 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Mike,

LFO3 / LFO4 (or LFO1 & LFO2 with retrigger switched off) modulating the start position is the easiest way to slowly run through the table per played key. Basically all Morphmodes will work with this, the difference being that with all others except 'Static' mode you will hear the morph modifiers (marked with \ ) when you hold a key, with static it will stay at the last played position. Hope that makes sense.

I guess Markus is in a better position to answer the difference between our Morph tables and the Q's Wave tables, I reckon Morph tables work in a similar but more advanced way, mainly due to the possibility of applying modifiers on top of the waves you can't suffice with just sweeping tabled content.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:48:50 PM by Bastiaan van Noord »

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
    • Tone2.com audiosoftware
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 11:48:01 AM »
Hello AnalogSignal,

i don't own a waldorf synth. So i can't tell you much about it.

The MORPHMODE drop down button allows you  to choose the various morph types to affect the oscillator waveforms The MORPHMODE function affects how the oscillator waveform changes morphs over time The MORPHMODE can be changed by clicking on the blue box under the MORPHMODE title and then selecting from the drop down menu.

There a large number of modfieres and morphmodes, which manipulate the way how you sweep through a spectrum. This is one of the strengths of HCM synthesis.

You can find a detailled description is available in the handbook on page 39.

I hope this helps,
Markus

AnalogSignal

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 06:21:52 AM »
I meant to reply sooner but had to put in long hours at work this week.

LFO3 / LFO4 (or LFO1 & LFO2 with retrigger switched off) modulating the start position is the easiest way to slowly run through the table per played key.

I guess what I'm looking for is a Retrigger button next to the Morphmode selection. With the Morphmode Retrigger off, it would run freely independently of the notes played.  However, Morphmode Static with LFO3 controlling the Start position is a good workaround.

i don't own a waldorf synth. So i can't tell you much about it.

It's strange that the Gladiator manual says: "crossfade12:  Crossfade from first to second OSC. This is in effect a cross-fade between the two wave forms like it is done in Waldorf Q or other wave table synths."

I don't think this is correct.  I think sweeping a Waldorf wave table is very similar to sweeping a Gladiator morph table.  Don't misunderstand me. I'm a big fan of the Gladiator, I just think the manual does not do a good job explaining how HCM differs from traditional wave table synthesis.

There a large number of modfieres and morphmodes, which manipulate the way how you sweep through a spectrum. This is one of the strengths of HCM synthesis.

Yes, this is where Gladiator goes way beyond what you can do with the Waldorf Q. Gladiator has so many morphtables with high quality sounds and so many modifiers.  The Q has two wavetables and the only modifier is maybe some FM and then the sound goes straight to the filter. Not to mention that the filters on the Gladiator sound better.