You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: 32 vs. 64 bit - what's the difference  (Read 5263 times)

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
    • Tone2.com audiosoftware
32 vs. 64 bit - what's the difference
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »
32 vs. 64 bit - what's the difference

We've been asked about this by customers several times. I'll try to clear some myths.

Myth1:
A 64 bit program always runs faster than a 32 bit program.
Answer:
This is a myth which is created by advertising of the hardware manufacturers. Only certain applications get a boost in performance, while other applications could actually run slightly slower.

Myth2:
You need 64 bit software if you use a 64 bit OS like Windows7.
Answer:
All tested 64 bit OS are downward compatible, 32 bit software runs fine with a 64 bit OS. You don't have to purchase 64 bit software.

Question:
So why is there any need for a 64 bit OS at all?
Answer:
The 64 bit OS circumvents the 4GB RAM limitation (2,5 GB in Win XP). This does mean that a single application can use more than 4GB of RAM.

Question:
Should i use a 32bit or a 64bit host software?
Answer:
We recommend 32 bit hosts with multicore CPU support. 32 bit hosts work fine also with a 64 bit OS. The 32bit hosts work more reliable since they have been tested for a longer period of time. The 64 bit hosts are currently in early-stage and in some cases suffer from technical problems.

Question:
Is Tone2 software compatible with my 64 bit OS?
Answer:
All Tone2 plugins are compatible with 64 bit operating systems.

Question:
Does Gladiator support 64 bit processing precision?
Answer:
Gladiator2 supports 32 bit as well as 64 bit processing precision.

Question:
Does 64 bit processing precision sound better that 32 bit processing precision?
Answer:
We could not hear or measure a significant difference in audio quality. 64 bit processing needs more CPU. That's why we recommend to run your host with 32 bit processing precision.

Question:
Can I run a 32 bit plugin from a 64 bit host?
Answer:
Most host programs ship with a bit bridge, which allows you to load 32 bit as well as 64 bit plugins.

Question:
Will you provide native 64bit dll of Gladiator2?
Answer:
In 2010 we plan to release an update with a native 64bit dll. This update will be free for all Gladiator2 customers. Please note that you can't use a 64 bit dll with a 32 bit host. In general 32 bit hosts can not handle 64bit dlls and might crash.

Question:
Which CPU should I use for making music?
Answer:
We recommend a modern multicore CPU like the Intel I7 or a Core2Quad processor. If you use a host with multicore CPU support you will be able to process dozens of plugins, because the processing can be done on several cores at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:03:21 PM by Bastiaan van Noord »