You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Icarus 1.6 - public beta1 (PC)  (Read 14981 times)

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
Icarus 1.6 - public beta1 (PC)
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
Icarus 1.6 beta (PC) :

The update to v1.6 is a big update, which is available for free. It includes new resynthesis modes, additonal effects, a better user interface, enhanced sound and a large number of new features. Icarus 1.6 is downward compatible with all previous versions. All existing song projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary. They will benefit from the enhanced sound quality.

The Mac version will be available in some weeks.

-----------------

Installation (PC):

1) Download and install Icarus v1.5: https://www.tone2.com/Tone2_Icarus.zip
2) Download the patch to 1.6 beta https://www.tone2.com/update/Tone2_Icarus_v1.6_beta_PC.zip
2) Replace Icarus.dll (32 bit) or IcarusX64.dll (64 bit) in the Vstplugins directory

-------------

New features:

- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis smart pitch snap' drastically enhances the sound quality of the resynthesis function. You can select a wav file and it automatically creates a synthesizer patch which syncs to BPM.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis of melody' is a groundbreaking feature. It can import complete phrases or melodies in wav format. It automaticaly programs a patch that sounds very similar to the original. It reprograms the melody in the arpeggiator. Futhermore it creates a wavetable with the harmonic content of the patch. The patches can further be tweaked, time streched or modified.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis with dynamic pitch' can import a wave. It automatically creates a patch which sounds similar to the original one. This mode does aly analyse the pitch information of the patch and programs the STEP lfo with a pitch envelope.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Beat slice drumlop' cuts a sample into 16 or 32 waveforms and creates a patch with plays a BPM synced loop
- New effect: 'Reverb Gated' which syncs to the BPM rate. It works best for drum sounds or arpeggiators
- New effect: 'Reverb Gated Echo' is Gated Reverb with a delay which syncs to BPM
- new effect: 'Reverb Reverse'  which syncs to the BPM rate
- new effect: 'Reverb Decay'  which syncs to the BPM rate
- The patch browser shows a scrollbar if more than 26 categories exist
- 'Shift notes up' shifts the notes in the arpeggiator one halftone up
- 'Shift notes down' shifts the notes in the arpeggiator one halftone down
- 'rotate 1 slot left' rotates the notes in the arpeggiator
- 'rotate 1 slot right' rotates the notes in the arpeggiator
- The morph kob now shows the number of quantized steps
- The wavetable editor shows a large slider with a grid if modifiers with 'value' are edited
- Osc->Tool 'Resynthesis smart snap'
- Wavetable editor->Spectrum->'Sort by brightness' sorts waveforms by their harmonic content. It can be used to create wobbles
- Wavetable editor->Resynthesis->'Resynthesis smart snap'
- Wavetable editor->Mix->'Fade in'
- Wavetable editor->Mix->'Fade out'
- Wabetable editor->Phase->'Rotate' shifts the phase of all selected waveforms
- XX additional patches (still not included)

Enhancements:

- Slightly enhanced sound quality of 'Import Sample'->'Create patch: Resynthesis...'
- More smart path selection on PC for loading/saving
- Enhanced performance of some knobs, especially the LFO sends
- The knobs MORPH, FADE, WAVE, PHASE do not longer switch the LFO
- A hand symbol is shown for text-style parameters which can be altered with the mouse
- Enhanced sound of 'Reverb Medium', 'Reverb Real', 'Reverb Trance' especially for for small sizes
- Enhanced sound of 'Formant Cross' morphmode
- Enhanced sound of 'Vocoder' morphmode
- Slightly enhanced sound of 'Reverb Big' and 'Reverb Infinity' with reduced low frequency rumble
- Wavetable editor is more easy and comfortable to use
- Undo function now also works with arpeggiator, fx tool, matrix tool, eq tool and filter tool menu
- Reduced a click when routing a saw lfo to WAVE
- Better default effect settings for Ensemble, Reverb Dark, Delay Fat, Delay Pingpong, Delay Diffuse, Delay Band

Bug fixes:

- Modulation depth of knobs could have been incorrect if matrix target was switched
- Removed wrong up/down arrows in the STEP LFO

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:57:56 PM by Markus Krause »

zvenx

Re: Icarus 1.6 - public beta
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
Thank you.
rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

exmatproton

• Ae
    • exm BC
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »
great update
Warlock_Icarus_Gladiator2/3_RayBlaster2_Nemesis_Saurus2_Electra2(x)_BiFilter2_Filterbank3_Warmverb

-exm-

Alex_Longard

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
Hello Markus!
This can be done in this version or in the future?
In wavetable editor tooltips for show value if move slider,
tooltips for modifier menus, cells in grid.
Thanks!

Small bugs:
crash daw if click "create random wavetable", not sound if open wavetable editor when sound play.

Icarus x64 v1.6 demo mode, Reaper x64 v5.77, Windows 10 x64 pro.

Deepbass

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »
This update is awesome, thanks a lot!
The large slider in the wavetable editor is an improvement. It would be even more helpful if the slider stays open until I find a value that I like. That means I play the sound I´m working on in my DAW (in a loop), make a value adjustment and hear the result (after processing of course). If the slider would stay open I could finetune my adjustment without pressing undo and start again with a new value.

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 09:51:33 AM »
Requested: Random function for the Arpeggiator

Soarer

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
Wow, looks great!

davew1

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 10:04:49 PM »
Thanks again for an amazing synth!

I had a few minutes to tinker with the 1.6 beta the other day, and may not have time again for another two weeks, but I wanted to report what may be a small bug.

After using the rotate left or right command, the arp would loop through a maximum of 16 steps, even when I selected larger numbers of steps.

This occurred on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Cubase 9.5.20 64 bit, on an i7-3770 processor. I wish I had more time to test it this weekend and provide additional details, but hopefully that will give others an opportunity to see if they can replicate this.

Yul Yolo

• Sound Designer
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 05:54:32 PM »
Thanks,
another great & free update !

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 02:57:24 PM »
Thanks again for an amazing synth!

I had a few minutes to tinker with the 1.6 beta the other day, and may not have time again for another two weeks, but I wanted to report what may be a small bug.

After using the rotate left or right command, the arp would loop through a maximum of 16 steps, even when I selected larger numbers of steps.

This occurred on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Cubase 9.5.20 64 bit, on an i7-3770 processor. I wish I had more time to test it this weekend and provide additional details, but hopefully that will give others an opportunity to see if they can replicate this.

I enhanced the behaviour. It will now rotate with the currently selected number of steps for the loop

davew1

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 11:34:55 PM »
I enhanced the behaviour. It will now rotate with the currently selected number of steps for the loop
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

DocShay

• Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »
Hello, there's a bug where automation doesn't work with Icarus (previous and latest) in Reaper 5.78 x64 and Reason 10 x64(these are the DAWs I've tried). It reproduces every time I try to record automation or when create an automation item and draw a shape and when I try to playback the automation Icarus will not respond to it at all in Reaper. In Reason it doesn't respond to trying to create automation parameter period.

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 02:26:47 PM »
Hello Samuel,

1) Today you submitted two very similar bug reports twice. Once with v1.5 via bug report form and for a second time here in the 1.6 beta thread. Now it's not clear for me which version your above report refers to. Please tell me

2) Please note that automation is not Midi. They are two completely different data formats for controling plugins. If you record automation there will be no midi data and vice versa

3) Please download v1.6 beta from above and confirm if the new version is also affected. You can check the version number with HELP->Show version info

4) Does the automation completely not work (no change in sound), or is it just the GUI which doesn't update?

I will check out your reports

Thank you,
Markus

-----------------
3. Product (Gladiator, ...):
   'Icarus '
4. Product version number:
   '1.5'
5. Full version / Demo version:
   'Full version'
7. Host software (Cubase, ...):
   'Reaper'
8. Host version number:
   '5.78'
9. Operating system (Windows XP,...):
   'Windows 10'
10. Processor:
   'Ryzen 1700'
11. The problem happens:
   'always'
12. Description of the problem:
   'Automation doesn't work with Icarus.'
13. It can be reproduced in several hosts:
   'yes'
14. How can it be reproduced?:
   'Record automation or create an automation item and draw your automation and play the recorded midi data. Icarus will be non responsive to the automation you recorded. It's also reproducible in Reason 10.'
15. I was able to find a solution:
   'yes'
16. Description of the solution:
   'Its a workaround, but toggling the plugin offline and online will allow Icarus to respond to automation.'
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:37:16 PM by Markus Krause »

DocShay

• Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 01:17:08 AM »
Hello Samuel,

1) Today you submitted two very similar bug reports twice. Once with v1.5 via bug report form and for a second time here in the 1.6 beta thread. Now it's not clear for me which version your above report refers to. Please tell me

2) Please note that automation is not Midi. They are two completely different data formats for controling plugins. If you record automation there will be no midi data and vice versa

3) Please download v1.6 beta from above and confirm if the new version is also affected. You can check the version number with HELP->Show version info

4) Does the automation completely not work (no change in sound), or is it just the GUI which doesn't update?

I will check out your reports

Thank you,
Markus

-----------------
3. Product (Gladiator, ...):
   'Icarus '
4. Product version number:
   '1.5'
5. Full version / Demo version:
   'Full version'
7. Host software (Cubase, ...):
   'Reaper'
8. Host version number:
   '5.78'
9. Operating system (Windows XP,...):
   'Windows 10'
10. Processor:
   'Ryzen 1700'
11. The problem happens:
   'always'
12. Description of the problem:
   'Automation doesn't work with Icarus.'
13. It can be reproduced in several hosts:
   'yes'
14. How can it be reproduced?:
   'Record automation or create an automation item and draw your automation and play the recorded midi data. Icarus will be non responsive to the automation you recorded. It's also reproducible in Reason 10.'
15. I was able to find a solution:
   'yes'
16. Description of the solution:
   'Its a workaround, but toggling the plugin offline and online will allow Icarus to respond to automation.'
Hello, Oh yeah the issue happens in both 1.5 and 1.6 beta, also my mistake on thinking automation and midi were the same. But yeah in Reaper the automation completely doesn't work for Icarus, only time it will work is when I toggle the plugin offline and online again and the automation will then start working in Reaper. Icarus is the only plugin I own that has this issue. In Reason 10 the automation is completely broken because Icarus will not respond to selecting the automation parameter which then creates the lane for the selected parameter. Thank you for the help!

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 11:52:00 AM »
Hello Samuel,

To make sure that you did not accidently record Midi CC and Automation at the same time:

1) In Icarus click FILE->'Reset Midi learn'
2) Then restart your host and create a new project
3) Check if the automation works as expected now
4) Report your test result to me

Thank you,
Markus