You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Working on Icarus 1.6  (Read 4258 times)

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
Working on Icarus 1.6
« on: March 01, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
I started to work on Icarus 1.6. The update will drastically enhance the sound quality of the resynthesis function. Furthermore many interesting features will be added.

If you have feature requests or discovered a bug make sure that you post them now.

zvenx

Re: Working on Icarus 1.6
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 01:16:36 AM »
I do think Icarus is your best sounding synth, by a lot.. so kudos for still even improving it more.

My only bug is the minor one I mentioned in E2 thread.... use the arrow on mac to change preset, even though the preset changes, the drop down menu of that preset doesn't show the new preset as selected. Works fine on pc.
rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »
Icarus 1.6 preview - the feature list is still incomplete and might still change

This stuff has been implemented now:

New features:

- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis smart snap' drastically enhances the sound quality of the resynthesis function. You can select a wav file and it automatically creates a synthesizer patch which syncs to BPM.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis of melody' is a groundbreaking feature. It can import complete phrases or melodies in wav format. It automaticaly programs a patch that sounds very similar to the original. It reprograms the melody in the arpeggiator. Futhermore it creates a wavetable with the harmonic content of the patch. The patches can further be tweaked, time streched or modified.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis with pitch analysis' can import a wave. It automatically creates a patch which sounds similar to the original one. This mode does aly analyse the pitch information of the patch and programs the STEP lfo with a pitch envelope.
- The patch browser shows a scrollbar if more than 26 categories exist
- 'Shift notes up' shifts the notes in the arpeggiator one halftone up
- 'Shift notes down' shifts the notes in the arpeggiator one halftone down
- 'rotate 1 slot left' rotates the notes in the arpeggiator
- 'rotate 1 slot right' rotates the notes in the arpeggiator
- The morph kob now shows the number of quantized steps
- The wavetable editor shows a large slider with a grid if modifiers with 'value' are edited
- Osc->Tool 'Resynthesis smart snap'
- Wavetable editor->Resynthesis->'Resynthesis smart snap'
- Wavetable editor->Mix->'Fade in'
- Wavetable editor->Mix->'Fade out'

Enhancements:

- Slightly enhanced sound quality of 'Import Sample'->'Create patch: Resynthesis...'
- More smart path selection on PC for loading/saving
- Enhanced performance of some knobs, especially the LFO sends
- The knobs MORPH, FADE, WAVE, PHASE do not longer switch the LFO
- A hand symbol is shown for text-style parameters which can be altered with the mouse
- Enhanced sound of 'Reverb Medium', 'Reverb Real', 'Reverb Trance' especially for for small sizes
- Enhanced sound of 'Formant Cross' morphmode
- Enhanced sound of 'Vocoder' morphmode
- Slightly enhanced sound of 'Reverb Big' and 'Reverb Infinity' with reduced low frequency rumble
- Wavetable editor is more easy and comfortable to use
- Undo function now also works with arpeggiator, fx tool, matrix tool, eq tool and filter tool menu

Bug fixes:

- Modulation depth of knobs could have been incorrect if matrix target was switched
- Removed wrong up/down arrows in the STEP LFO

Deepbass

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »
Wow! CanĀ“t wait to use the new resynthesis modes. May I ask if the ETA of version 1.6 is days, weeks or months away??

Cheers,
Andreas

Felix

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 06:30:10 AM »
I would really love to see nested folders for wavetables in 1.6, I have a very particular way of organizing wavetables that makes the current system difficult. I can work with the current system but it's not ideal for me to share a pack of 250+ wavetables for icarus with the current system of organization as people would either have to deal with 12+ additional folders or 250+ individual files in one folder.
Oh also it would be really nice to be able to choose whether the filter distortion is Pre or Post filter. Making reeses with filters really lends itself to filtering after distortion and sometimes I need to sacrifice a filter slot just to achieve that, it would be very nice if I didn't.

Also can't wait to spend some time with the new resynthesis modes! super exciting update.
Thanks for all the work you all do!
-Felix
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:37:43 AM by Felix »

Soarer

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »
I'm going to post this here too then, since you ask us to post bugs/FR here.

It would be really helpful if the save dialog would suggest the same name as the patch you have currently selected. It would save a lot of time instead of just the "Untitled" name. Often you want to save a second version of your patch like "Bright Pad 2" and of course you can just write something else if you want another name.

And please let us have the save dialog open in the same folder of your currently selected preset. I have about 14 folders of preset categories within the Icarus_sounds folder so if I am making ARP patches it is tiring to have to navigate to the same ARP folder where my previous preset is already saved, again and again. Many other synths and effects have these convenient features.

Also there's a save bug that causes patches to be saved without the file extension .fxp.
It is really driving me nuts. Happens quite often and I have to go to the folder in Finder and add the extension myself.

When using the up and down arrows to change patches, the name shown in the patch display on the main synth page is not the same as the name that is shown in the pop up patch list (click the patch name) The patch list is not updated if you use the up and down buttons.

Another thing is that there's a bug in the preset browser and if you select the last visible preset in your folder and click the down button the next selected preset is not shown but the white selector scrolls down into the frame that separates the keyboard.

Also in the Type browser I cannot scroll down to see the last folders without switching preset.
- I see that this one is now fixed.

I really think these bugs should be fixed and as always, let me know if I can help.

Looking forward to the Mac version!