You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Icarus 1.5 - public beta 1  (Read 24957 times)

exmatproton

• Ae
    • exm BC
    • Email
Re: Icarus 1.5 - public beta
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
One bug i found;

When choosing "Create random patch", it crashes FL Studio (12.5.1, build 5, x64). The same is happening in Studio One (3.5.2.44603, x64), Reaper (5.52, x64) and Abelton (9.7.3, x64).
Warlock_Icarus_Gladiator2/3_RayBlaster2_Nemesis_Saurus2_Electra2(x)_BiFilter2_Filterbank3_Warmverb

-exm-

Soarer

• Email
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
One bug i found;

When choosing "Create random patch", it crashes FL Studio (12.5.1, build 5, x64). The same is happening in Studio One (3.5.2.44603, x64), Reaper (5.52, x64) and Abelton (9.7.3, x64).

Just tried many times with Ableton 9.7.4 x64 (Mac) and i had no crashes.

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »
In general this version seems to be stable an can be used in a productive environment.

Known problems:

A crash can happen if 'Create random wavetable' or 'Init random patch' is used.

Workaround1:
Do not use these features.

Workaround2:
Copy some wavetables to the Icarus_wavetables directory (...\Icarus_wavetables\*.wav)

The problem does only occur if no wav file is in ...\Icarus_wavetables\ .
Since the installer of v1.1/v1.0 copys wav files to Icarus_wavetables\ by default no crash will occur if you had installed the previous versions before installing v1.5.
If you expecience a crash you can solve the problem for yourself with Workaround2.

The bug will of course be fixed in the release version.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:48:48 PM by Markus Krause »

JOP

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 03:13:21 PM »
I can't navigate via arrow keys on my computer keyboard in the preset browser anymore.
Navigation could be resolved in a better way: For example i loaded a sound type organ and want to change the patch - if i click on type plucked, the sound changes immediately to the first patch in the browser. I would like no change since i clicked a new patch in a type group.

Anyway, all in all a good update, love the new added effects in particular. 

BTW: had no problem to create a random patch in Studio One 3.5.2. x64

zvenx

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 08:50:25 PM »
Hi Markus now seeing this.
Two things though, for me the create random wavetable only crashes on cubendo on mac not pc,

and I do have stuff in my /icarus/wavetables folders.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6wp5zlglxya651/icarus%20wavetables.jpg?dl=0

rsp

In general this version seems to be stable an can be used in a productive environment.

Known problems:

A crash can happen if 'Create random wavetable' or 'Init random patch' is used.

Workaround1:
Do not use these features.

Workaround2:
Copy some wavetables to the Icarus_wavetables directory (...\Icarus_wavetables\*.wav)

The problem does only occur if no wav file is in ...\Icarus_wavetables\ .
Since the installer of v1.1/v1.0 copys wav files to Icarus_wavetables\ by default no crash will occur if you had installed the previous versions before installing v1.5.
If you expecience a crash you can solve the problem for yourself with Workaround2.

The bug will of course be fixed in the release version.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:56:32 PM by zvenx »
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 10:59:14 PM »
On your screenshot it it contains subdirectories with wav files, but no wav files.

zvenx

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 11:04:49 PM »
ahh. let me see what the PC looks like.
Also I did have 1.0 and 1.1 installed before, I thought that would have made me immune.

ahh I see.......
what happens is the mac installer cleans up in ways the pc doesn't, so the pc left the original wavetables as is, and also created the sub directories which I assume is the new format with 1.5, whereas the mac deleted the files and instead installed the ones from the sub directories.

Either way, you know the issue so I am sure you will fix it soon.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbk1t726ojdjmkq/pc%20wavetables.jpg?dl=0

(I was viewing a backup of the vst folder on the mac, hence why you are seeing a mac type interface but it is the files in the pc vst folders)

thanks

rsp
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:10:14 PM by zvenx »
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

zvenx

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
Cubase 9, Sierra
Load instance of Icarus 1.5.
Click on your down arrow on your keyboard ( I was hoping this would change the category and or patch)
Instant crash.... hard crash.
rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

zvenx

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 11:45:45 PM »
For completeness, in Nuendo on PC, no crash, the keyboard navigational arrows just does nothing in Icarus.
I checked, Electra2, Nemesis, Saurus and they all work fine with the arrows.

rsp
-------------
richard sven
sound sculptist

Felix

• Email
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »
Initial thoughts about the update:

The fact that the arrows no longer work for patch switching has saved at least four or five patches from my cat and I actually really appreciate that. I also never crash when the arrows are pressed, I'm on windows 10 and ableton 9.7.

Also a huge fan of the way the FM/PM sounds in Icarus, definitely cleaner than any other sounds I've heard with FM between two wavetables. It almost feels like an entirely new synth now considering it sounds so amazing and you have the rough equivalent of a 6 osc FM chain when you resample FM sounds.

One thing I am wondering about though is whether it's going to be possible to have folders within folders for wavetables in the future. I'm working on a pack of Icarus/Serum wavetables and there are more in it than in the Icarus factory library so rather than adding a ton of folders I'd like to be able to add one for my pack and organize the pack by category from within there if possible.

Thanks again for the arrow keys and the FM/PM, can't express my appreciation enough.

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 06:27:33 PM »
Hello Felix,

Custom Folders within Icarus_wavetables are supported since v1.5.

Simply create a directory "Icarus_wavetables/MyGreatWavetables" and place your own wav file here.
After this restart the synth.

Best Regards,
Markus

Felix

• Email
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »
Thanks Markus, I've been able to do this but I seem to be having trouble getting folders to show up within the folders I add, not sure if this feature doesn't work or I'm doing something wrong. I've tried saving in folders within folders from within the synth and also dragging wavetables I know work into those folders but when I mouse over the parent folder with my full pack in Icarus nothing shows. I'd like it to be something like Icarus_wavetables -> Felix Tables -> then a bunch of folders with different categories like additive, growl, morphy ect.

In any case the way it works now is way better than it was before, keep up the good work!

Felix
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:41:27 PM by Felix »

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
You must create them like this:

Icarus_wavetables/FelixGrowl/
Icarus_wavetables/FelixAdditive/

Here is a topic about it:
http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?topic=2518.0

Markus

Felix

• Email
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »
Alright! Hopefully we can get nested folder support eventually, if not my list of wt folders is gonna be as big as the original icarus wavetable list someday... seems like I've got at least a year or two before that happens though so I should be good.

Thanks for all the fast support!

Felix

Caine123

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »
first i will get Icarus very soon, cause v1.5 got me interested! even i already have a lot of WT synths + tone2 synths already :)!

the demo of beta 1.5 sadly pops/clicks alot in sound, afaik the old demos didnt do that. hope this is only the beta which has it.
the create RANDOM patch doesnt seem to work in FL 12, it randomizes only a WAVE form. i love it in gladiator 2, sylenth1 etc., this will never replace sound designers, but inspire sometimes, so i hope the create RANDOM patch will really create random patches incl. MOD matrix etc.