You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Screen recording software  (Read 7554 times)

Felingen

Screen recording software
« on: January 11, 2015, 11:43:02 AM »
Hi everyone!
I'm looking for a program to record my screen and the audio from my external audio interface simultaneously.
There are so many alternatives out there and I'm having a hard time to choose one.
I want something that's easy to use, record both screen and audio in highest quality possible and are compatible with Snow Leopard. Freeware is preferred, but not necessary.
Any ideas?
Once I have the right software I will start making video series about creative sound design and production techniques. And there will be loads of Tone2 products featured!  ;)

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:15:31 PM by Markus Krause »

apetosa

• Email
Re: Screen recording software for Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »
Greetings.

I, too, am investigating OS X screen-casting software with the capabilities you outlined. Personally, for this genre of software I believe it is best to go with commercial software. Thus far, the 'big two' ones I see for OS X are ScreenFlow and Camatasia.

If I do not locate any other major players for screen-casting software, then I will elect to purchase ScreenFlow. Here are the criteria I elected to measure my decision:

1. ScreenFlow appears more intuitive to use than does Camtasia.

2. ScreenFlow does not require a Quark Extreme-compliant video card/engine (not sure if it's an actual piece of hardware or if it is a graphics rendering engine); Camtasia does require this. I contacted both companies and Camtasia's company replied that my system will not support Camtasia. ScreenFlow's company responded that my system is more than enough to support ScreenFlow. I placed a follow-up question to the ScreenFlow company asking for further clarification, for which I  await a reply. Namely, how will will ScreenFlow perform when using an external Apple 30" monitor via Thunderbolt. FYI, here are the relevant specs on my system:

MacBookPro
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB graphics

Camtasia offers more in the way of video effects editing, and it has the advantage of resizing the various audio and video timeline lanes more flexibly than ScreenFlow. Personally, these capabilities are a bit overkill to me for producing quality screen-casts. If I want a more 'polished' video production feel, then I would take my rendered screen-casts and embellish them in video editing software (e.g., Final Cut Pro).

Felingen

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:20:56 PM »
Thanks a bunch for taking your time to help me out!
Will look up ScreenFlow then. I'm not in need of any editing possibilities since I plan to edit the videos in a separate program, just the way you mention. Links to my upcoming videos will probably be up on this forum as soon as I have some cool stuff to post.
Cheers

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »
I am using Camtasia (PC). However this software can record only a single stereo audio track. Recording the microphone and at the same time the synthesizer stereo track is not possible. It also lacks with ASIO support. Recording Direct Sound does work quite well, however the huge latency makes it quite unusable when you play life. When you master the video you must set the audio track volume to around 160%.
While it lacks with audio support the video editing option in Camtasia are great however.

GeorgeZ

• Sound Designer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 07:57:14 PM »
It's possible, but a bit of a PITA to get Mic, ASIO and everything else in the system recorded for streaming. unfortunately I'm not on Mac, so I don't know, but this is how I do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvo_jVegDr4

Felingen

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:10:45 PM »
Thanks Markus and George for adding in.
However something working on a Mac is the only alternative for me.

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the great video tutorial George!

So what you are using is:
http://odeus-audio.com.au/Odeus/AsioLink

and Open broadcaster software:
https://obsproject.com

-------------

I somehow did manage to mix the Mic with the RME soundcard matrix to ASIO via hardware. However i must admit that i did not understand really what and how i did it. The matrix is very confusing for me.

GeorgeZ

• Sound Designer
Re: Screen recording software
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 08:48:06 PM »
Yes sir. It's a bit fiddly to get up and running, but totally easy once you get the hang of it. I'll be doing a proper "routing" video soon explaining how it all works (as people posting on the video don't seem to be able to get their head around it).

Edit: There's something else on the market as well, which I'm currently investigating, which would possibly do something similar (iirc it's by the same guys that made VAC): http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/banana.htm
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:50:31 PM by GeorgeZ »

Markus Krause

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 09:56:30 AM »
The mixer looks interesting. Thanks for the hint George.

GeorgeZ

• Sound Designer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
No worries Markus. I'm yet to test, but if it works, I'll definitely get it (donation based).  ;)