You must register to have access to the complete forum.

Author Topic: Soxanr X3... dear lord.  (Read 5865 times)

GeorgeZ

• Sound Designer
Soxanr X3... dear lord.
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »
So, Sonar X3 is to be released soon (X2 had one update 9 months ago and fixed NOTHING) and you can already per-purchase it. I'm kinda fed up with CW actually. They've added plugins (I own most of them separately already apart from Melodyne Ess) and some work enhancements. For someone who doesn't own all the extra plugins they've added I guess it's a good deal to upgrade, but what if you own all of them already, then $149 is a rip I think (also, considering I've had a problem with single hit samples getting grooveclip chopped [WTF?!?!] since X1, and have had no help from CW support in their forum, I'm kinda bummed).

Any thoughts? BTW, I'm not in a huff, thought I'd just put my point of view down as well.  ;)

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/sonar/whats-new.aspx

Examigan

• Some of my Music
Re: Soxanr X3... dear lord.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »
I haven't read up much on what's in it, but they seem to have a habit of not fixing things and then releasing the next version.

I am still on 8.5 and like it as I know where everything is, it works ok for me, so no worries.   :)

Markus Krause

• Tone2.com audiosoftware
  • Administrator
    • Tone2.com audiosoftware
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
Bastiaan uses Sonar. Maybe he knows more details. I personally don't have much experience with it.

This is what i know for sure:

- Older Sonar versions prior to 8.5 had some vst compatibility problems, especially with the GUI. We had to do workarounds in our plugins for this.
- Sonar X1 seems to work pretty well. Cakewalk did really improve here.
- Unlike several other companies the team behind Cakewalk reacts to our bug reports and collaborates in a nice, professional and uncomplicated way.
- If something should go wrong Tone2 and Calkwalk work together to solve the problem.

satYatunes

• Soundsets and GUIs for VST Plugins
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 02:44:33 AM »
I have upgraded to Sonar X3. It's actually pretty good. Working excellent on my machine. I was on X1 before and didn't upgrade to X2 cause I don't think it was worth it. People aren't stupid. They just put all the bug fixing together and called it X2. WTF? Ok, ok, they threw in R-MIX and Breverb but I was not convinced on the upgrade price.

But with X3, things are different. There is change in overall attitude of CW and their employees. They are very pro-active now. Fixing bugs pro-actively. Can you believe X3C update is due end of this month? Noel (CTO) confirmed that it will have updates/features that user requested. I can't believe they have started listening to their user base? I think Gibson take over did the trick.

Anyway, I am really impressed with X3. After installation what I usually do is open some heavy projects and adjust the ASIO buffer until it plays smoothly. In earlier versions it always stuttered and my ASIO4ALL buffer never came down from 512. In X3, I tried it differently just to check whether their claim is true or not. I just set the ASIO4ALL buffer to 256 and ran a heavy project. My oh my, it played so smoothly, I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. These are just initial impressions cause it's only been one a week or so. I haven't used it extensively. Just playing around and checking a few different things that's all.

I have heard on some systems it runs smoothly and on some it doesn't. Hence try the demo when it's released to check if it works on your system or not. I am not a fanboy, I just use what works for me. In fact, I have been using Reaper for last 7-8 months cause X1 couldn't handle CPU efficiently. I love Pro-channel modules though. The flyout quad-curve is nice.

@George: I saw your post on this chopping issue in KVR. Tried to recreate in X3 but couldn't. If you want me to check then let me know the steps otherwise wait until they release a demo. If you don't want all the plugins then consider downgrading to Studio version. It has got everything the producer has (even Melodyne) except a few Pro-channel modules and Quadcurve flyout option. I know, you know that already :-)
Sound and graphic designer
http://satyatunes.com

GeorgeZ

• Sound Designer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:36:18 AM »
Hey Satya,

I'll definitely give the demo a test when it's released. In the meantime I'll send you some samples to test in X3 via FB (some time, donno when) ;)

Cheers
George